Skip Navigation
Last Visited »

Hurricane Irma

As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.

Citations (Civil Violation Notices)

Miami-Dade County pet owners registered with Animal Services are issued courtesy renewal notices advising to vaccinate against rabies and/or renew their rabies. One and three-year rabies vaccines and licenses are available to the public at the Pet Adoption and Protection Center. Failure to license or vaccinate against rabies is a safety and public health issue, and a violation of the Florida State Statute and County Code.

Civil Citation/Violation notices are issued to dog owners for failure to license or vaccinate their dog against rabies. Under Chapter 5, Section 8cc-10 of the municipal code of Miami-Dade County:

  • Pet owners are required to purchase a rabies license tag within 30 days of their dog becoming 4 months old.
  • All dogs 4-months and older must wear their rabies license tag.
  • Licenses and vaccinations are due on the expiration date (due every 1 or 3 years of the rabies vaccine per Section 5-7(c). If in doubt, please check with your vet to confirm the expiration date for the vaccine and or search our license database for the information. 
  •  Failure to renew may result in a citation being issued.

Under the Miami-Dade County Code, Section 5-7(c) states, “Each license tag shall be renewed annually by the anniversary of the dog's most recent rabies vaccination, even if the rabies vaccination is effective for more than one year; it is provided, however, that the Department may issue a multi-year license tag that is valid for the duration of a multi-year rabies vaccination, and such license tag shall not require renewal until the revaccination is due. If the dog is not timely revaccinated, and the license tag not timely renewed, then the responsible party shall be subject to civil penalties in accordance with this chapter, but thereafter the due date for the renewal of the license tag shall be the anniversary of the untimely revaccination.” 

Residents can check the status of a citation and pay the fee with a major credit card using the citation number, name of person issued the citation, the folio number or mailing address on the Clerk of Court Citation Search site. Please note: Citations are filed under the owner's name, not the pet's name.

Payment of Citations*
Check, money order or cashier's check must be made payable to Code Enforcement Clerk of Courts and mailed to:

111 NW 1 STREET STE 1750
MIAMI FL 33128

* Citation number(s) must be referenced in all check payments.

You may also pay by phone at 305-375-2333

Citation in Collections

If you have received a collection notice, please contact the County's Collection office at 786-469-5200. You may also email

If you prefer to inquire in person, their office is located at:

Miami-Dade County
Finance Department Collections Unit
200 NW 2 Avenue, 3rd floor
Miami, FL 33128

Disputing an Erroneous Citation

If you feel you have received a citation in error, see the Appealing a Citation page.

If you received a Civil Violation Notice (citation) and would like for the department to determine its accuracy or have information to disprove its validity, please email a statement with any supporting documentation for review. The department will advise in writing if the violation is valid and requires payment. If the violation is deemed to be invalid, a post card will be mailed to your home address with confirmation. Please make sure that you include the violation numbers and contact information.


Back to Top Page Last Edited: Wed Jan 4, 2017 12:37:59 PM

beta pilot project

See the newest version of this page
Let us know what you think.
Send Feedback


You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.