Abandoned Property or Junk and Trash
Abandoned property maintained or deposited in the Miami-Dade County right-of-way or on private property is illegal.
In an effort to maintain and improve the quality of our Miami-Dade County Neighborhoods, officers of the Department of Regulatory and Economic Resources routinely patrol your area to ensure compliance with Dade County Code regulations.
Upon verification of a violation of the Code of Miami-Dade County, a Courtesy Warning Notice may be issued. Failure to comply with provisions of the Code of Miami-Dade County can result in you being assessed Civil Penalties.
Additionally, Junk and Trash may also be removed by Miami-Dade County with cumulative penalties assessed to the property owner.
Abandoned property includes motor vehicles; trailers; boats; or other vessels; refrigerators, washing/drying machines, or other machinery; and plumbing fixtures; tanks, casks, cans, barrels, drums, building materials, scrap contractor’s equipment, old iron, mattresses, beds, bedding, or any other kind of waste material.
Abandoned, Junk or Derelict Property deposited in the Miami-Dade County right-of-way or on private property will be judged as such as if the Code Compliance Officer determines the following:
- The property is unable to perform its intended use.
- The property has less than nominal salvage value.
- The property has evidence of disrepair.
- The property, if a motor vehicle, trailer, boat or other vessel, has no current tag, decal, or registration.
- The property is unprotected from the elements, corroded, rusted, or appears it has not been moved.
Abandoned property may be posted with a decal ordering the property to be removed within 5 days. The abandoned property may also be removed and destroyed by Miami-Dade County with a cumulative penalty assessed to the last owner of record.
Junk and Trash
Junk and Trash includes rubbish, accumulated garbage, paper, rags, excelsior, cans, bottles, boxes, glass, barrels, plastics, building materials, piping, mattresses, bedding, old, dilapidated motor vehicle parts; motor vehicles; trailers; boats; or other vessels or parts thereof.
- It is unlawful to deposit, store, keep, maintain or to permit Junk or Trash in or on any Lot or on parcel or body of water, except in a legally established junk yard or a County authorized commercial Waste Collection Site.
- It is illegal to place or maintain Junk and Trash under a carport or a front porch that is not completely enclosed with four walls and a roof.
- It is illegal to conceal Junk and Trash with tarps or other covering devices or behind fences or walls.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.