As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Miami-Dade County Labor Market Report
The Labor Market Report is a quarterly publication that identifies current labor market conditions and trends. The reports cover key indicators of the labor market, such as payroll employment by major industry sectors and household labor force participation and unemployment rates.
The reports provide the latest data release from the Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics and the state Agency for Workforce Innovation, along with an analysis of the key factors driving changes of our local labor market and comparisons with other areas.
- Total Miami-Dade County nonfarm employment was up 18,100 jobs (1.6%) in 2016:Q4 from 2015:Q4.
- Over 26 consecutive quarters of expansion the county has average 6,700 additional jobs per quarter.
- Professional and business services led the way adding 5,200 jobs (3.2%) between 2015:Q4 and 2016:Q4.
- Broward County experienced year-over-year growth of 3.7% in 2016:Q4 and Palm Beach County saw 1.7% year-over-year growth in the quarter.
- The average weekly wage in 2016:Q4 for a Miami-Dade worker across all industries was up 1.7% from the 2016:Q3 to $787.
- Household employment in the fourth quarter increased 4,955 jobs (+0.4%) from 2015:Q4, after seasonal adjustment, while the adjusted labor force decreased 4,611 potential workers (-0.3%).
- The unemployment rate dropped 70 basis points from 2015:Q4 to 5.4% in 2016:Q4.
- 2017: Gross Regional Product and Productivity (4.5 MB)
This issue focuses on measuring Gross Regional Product and output per worker for Miami-Dade County as of 2015.
- 2013: Employment by Sector
This issue focuses on how the Miami-Dade economy has evolved, comparing May 2007, May 2010 and May 2013, based on employment by sector.
- 2011: Unemployment Increases to a Record High
This issue focuses on the unemployment rate that increased to a record level recently. In addition, a comparison with the corresponding rates of the nation, state and the neighboring South Florida counties, as well as for the municipalities within Miami-Dade County is provided.
- 2009: Unemployment
This issue focuses on the unemployment rate that rapidly increased over the past several months. In addition, it explores this rate over the past 20 years, by demographic characteristics, and by municipality.
- 2008: Employment
What have been the employment trends in Miami-Dade County? Has the local economy been able to provide more jobs and higher levels of employment? What has happened to the unemployment rate? These are some of the questions that are examined in this issue.
Data Flash Reports
- 2017 Revisions to Miami-Dade County Labor Market Data (1.10 MB) This issue looks at the most recent revisions made to the 2012 to 2016 Miami-Dade County labor market data by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and released this month. These revisions are made annually to reflect more complete data and updates to the parameters of the economic model.
- Employment Growth and Wages in Miami-Dade County (1.15 MB) This report looks at private employment growth by industry and wage from 2010 through 2015 in order to identify the financial quality of private jobs being added to the County economy.
- 2016: Wage and Growth Comparisons for Miami-Dade Industries – 2014-15 This issue compares State of Florida and Miami-Dade County industries in terms of wage levels and growth rates for the period 2014 to 2015.
- 2015: Population Not in the Labor Force
This report explores the Miami-Dade labor force data to explain the observed increase in the share of the working age population leaving the labor force. It concludes that this increase does not result primarily from weakness in the economy but rather from the long-run trend of boomers entering retirement.
- 2015: Miami-Dade County Labor Market (2.52 MB)
This issue provides a brief mid-quarter (August) look at household and payroll labor force data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- 2015: Labor Force, Employment, and Unemployment in Miami-Dade County (1.30 MB)
- 2010: Rising Unemployment in Miami-Dade County
Sign up for Economic Reports
Sign up to receive e-mailed Economic Development reports produced by Miami-Dade County.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.