Moving Our Community Forward
The People’s Transportation Plan - 10 Years Serving the Community
The Citizens’ Independent Transportation Trust (CITT) celebrates 10 years of transportation improvements made possible by the People’s Transportation Plan (PTP) approved by Miami-Dade County voters on November 5, 2002.
Over the past 10 years PTP projects have enhanced public transportation, provided greater mobility options and improved safety and convenience for passengers, motorists and pedestrians alike.
10 Year Anniversary Highlights
- Metrorail Orange Line – This $500 million, 2.4 mile extension of Metrorail was completed on time and on budget. It offers residents and visitors easy affordable access to Miami International Airport and the surrounding area
- New Metromover Vehicles – PTP funds were used to purchase a new fleet of state-of-the-art Metromover vehicles and funded station renovations
- New Metrorail Vehicles – PTP funds have been approved to purchase a new state-of-the-art Metrorail fleet, which is scheduled to be placed in revenue service in 2016
- PTP funds added 586 new buses to the Metrobus fleet including fuel-efficient hybrid vehicles with environmentally-friendly LED lighting
- New 24-hour bus routes were implemented serving major activity centers throughout the County
- Over 107 million passengers now use the public transit system annually, a 30% increase in ridership
- The PTP funded Golden Passport and Patriot Passport programs provide fare-free rides to over 200,000 senior citizens and low-income, honorably-discharged veterans
- Fare-free rides on the downtown Metromover resulted in a doubling of ridership to 9 million passengers annually
Municipal Transportation Program
- The PTP provided funding to 34 municipalities for transportation improvements in their communities. Bus circulator systems currently operate in 26 cities carrying over 6 million riders annually.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.