At this time, Miami-Dade County is monitoring Hurricane Matthew.
Please visit our Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Office of Intergovernmental Affairs
The role of the Office of Intergovernmental Affairs is to ensure that Miami-Dade County's legislative agendas at all levels of government are properly prepared, effectively communicated and adopted in a manner that benefits our community's needs.
While the Office frequently works in concert with the County's Legislative Delegation on regional legislative issues, the Office of Intergovernmental Affairs primarily focuses on the legislative activities that are in the best interests of Miami-Dade County and its constituents.
The Office's goals and functions include:
- Coordinating the County's intergovernmental relations at the federal, state and local levels;
- Preparing annual federal and state legislative packages;
- Managing the County’s federal and state governmental representation and consulting contracts and report issues relating to conflicts of interest as they pertain to contract lobbyists;
- Reporting to the Board of County Commissioners on a timely basis on all critical intergovernmental issues;
- Coordinating meetings and facilitate relationships between the Board of County Commissioners and the Miami-Dade County state and federal legislative delegations no less than once each quarter;
- Advising the Board of County Commissioners, Mayor, County Manager and County departments of the filing, progress and amendments of bills, appropriations and legislative reports and projects that may affect the County;
- Raising, discussing and recommending any legislative action that may benefit the County given the current legislative trends and dynamics, including actions related to substantive legislation and appropriations.
The Office of Intergovernmental Affairs closely follows the lawmaking process in the state capital of Tallahassee. It also works with the Miami-Dade County Legislative Delegation.
Representing Miami-Dade County's residents and interests in the state capital of Tallahassee, the 25 elected officials that make up the Miami-Dade County Legislative Delegation work as advocates for varied constituent interests, developing an ever expanding legislative agenda, as well as addressing the concerns of their own particular districts.
Florida's Congressional delegation, which works in Washington, D.C., consists of 25 elected members to the House of Representatives and two senators. As with state lawmakers, the Office of Intergovernmental Affairs works with the Congressional delegation to communicate local issues and concerns
Miami-Dade County Legislative Delegation
The Miami-Dade County Legislative Delegation was created when the state elected officials recognized the importance of their numbers and believed that as a united Delegation, speaking with a single voice, they could exercise political influence and visibility far beyond their numbers. The Delegation as a whole forms a pivotal voting bloc, whose power allows them to dramatically influence the creation, direction and enforcement of public policy.
County Legislative Requests
Miami-Dade County departments and agencies interested in making a state or federal legislative request or a federal appropriations request are asked to begin developing their priorities each June.
This is done in order to allow sufficient time for review before a final package is adopted and ready for the beginning of the State legislative session, which normally begins the following March.
Municipal Contact List
Updated directories of the Mayors and Managers of Miami-Dade County's municipalities.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.