Skip Navigation
Last Visited »

Hurricane Irma

As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I bond out an inmate?

If an inmate has bondable charges, he or she can bond out at anytime 24-7, 365 days. To find a bondsman check the yellow pages, we are not allowed to recommend or solicit for bondsman. For further information on bonding out an inmate, or to find out the bond amount on an inmate,call inmate information  786-263-7000.

For information on charges and to find inmate's jail number, go the Inmate Search Section on this site.

When are Fugitive Extradition hearings held?

Fugitive Extradition hearings are held at 9:00 a.m. Monday thru Friday, a judge will hear the case and it is the defendants opportunity to either waive extradition or to request further hearings prior to extradition.

What is Pretrial Release?

Pretrial Release (PTR) is a process that includes several entities: the courts perform Release Own Recognizance (ROR), jail performs Promised To Appear (PTA) releases, and police agencies perform street citation releases. Bail, by cash or a bond agency is also a form of pretrial release. Pretrial Services (PTS) is a local county agency that releases persons, free of charge before their trial. The defendant then promise to appear for court.

Once a person is released, what additional function does Pretrial Release serve?

Pretrial Services (PTS) ensures that the person comes back to court as directed so the person’s case can be disposed of properly. This is done effectively.

Is there any other way for persons to be released before their trial?

Yes. It is called commercial bail.

How can I leave clothing for an inmate?

Clothing drop offs are no longer being accepted at any facility. All inmates are issued Standardized Departmental Uniforms.

How can I write to an inmate?

Letters must be addressed to the facility where the inmate is housed and inmate's  jail # must be on the front of the envelope. You can find inmate's jail #  and housing facility through our "Inmate Search" section.

How can I leave money for an inmate?

Members of the general public who wish to deposit funds in the account of an incarcerated individual may leave cash deposits, exact change only, at the Pre-Trial Detention Center (PTDC) or  Turner Guilford Knight (TGK) at the following times:


7:00 a.m.- 2:00 p.m.
3:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
11:00 p.m. - 6:00 a.m.


7:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.  Monday - Sunday

You can also utilize Touch Pay to deposit money into an inmate’s account.

Questions regarding the subsistence fee program should be forwarded to the Budget and Finance Bureau. The contact number is:  786-263-4258

What is inmate commissary?

Inmates are allowed to order basic food and hygiene items while they are incarcerated via the Inmate Commissary. Orders are submitted on a weekly basis. The order limit is $125.00 per week.

Inmates released from custody prior to receiving their commissary will have the order refunded to their account within a week. Money in the account may be picked up from the Property Room Public Service Window at the Pretrial Detention Center 1321 NW 13 Street Miami, FL. 33125

How can I send books to an inmate?

Inmates can receive books in accordance to Departmental Standard Operating Procedure 17-002 section Vl (B) Acceptable Items "Only newspapers, magazines, softcover (paperback) books, etc., mailed from the Book Seller (example: Borders, Barnes and Nobles etc.) to the inmate, carrying the inmate’s name and an address of one of the department’s facilities and delivered by the U. S. postal system, will be accepted. All other items will be marked "Return to Sender" and returned via U.S. Mail at no expense to the county".

Back to Top Page Last Edited: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:11:41 PM

You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.