As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
District 4 Miscellaneous Projects
- Sponsored three Biscayne Shores Park clean ups w/ area homeowners and Miami-Dade Police Explorers
- Participate in annual Baynanza event
- Participate in Hands on Miami event at Pelican Harbor Marina
- Sponsored three Team Metro PRIDE events at Skylake Mall
- Sponsored repairs to an area homes (worked in conjunction with Team Metro and Miami Job Corps)
- Worked alongside Miami Job Corps to plant several bougainvillea bushes on interior of the NE 215 th Street wall to deter crime
- Decentralized STS applications ( Coral Way) to each Team Metro office; and facilitated home visits on request
- Sponsored Bike Rodeo and Safety Fair with Team Metro Northeast and Miami-Dade Police at the Skylake Mall
- Initiated transfer of Ocean Lifeguards from Parks & Recreation Department to Ocean Rescue with Fire Rescue
- Demolished condemned Haulover Beach Concession Storage area; upgraded lifeguard station, command post and communications.
- New Ocean Rescue temporary site at Haulover Beach
- Sponsored Haulover Hong Kong Dragon Boat Races, now an annual event
- Demolished condemned Pelican Harbor Restaurant and initiated a passive open park on site.
- Implemented Parks Foundation, a 501 (c)(3) for donations to our county parks
- Haulover Beach fuel distribution for fishing fleet
- Participate in annual Baynanza Clean up (2004, 2005, 2006)
- Participate in Kite Festival at Haulover Park (2006)
- Participated in Hands on Miami Day 2006 Event at North Shore Open Space Park planting, mulching, and cleaning up
- Participated in the Haulover Beach bathroom groundbreaking as part of the Park Renovation Project
- Participate in annual Dr. Seuss Day at Madie Ives Elementary
- Highland Oaks Middle School West Dedication
Office Fund Allocation / Sponsorships
- Sponsored “A is for Art” contest at Ojus Elementary School
- Sponsored new school marquis for Ojus Elementary School
- Donation to each of these PTA’s: Ojus, Highland Oaks Middle, VAB Highland Oaks Elementary, JFK Middle School, North Miami Beach Sr. High School (2004, 2005)
- Turkey Give-away for Thanksgiving
- Bike Give-away for Holidays
- In-kind services for the 1 st, 2 nd and 3 rd Annual South Florida Dragon Boat Festival
- Sponsored Ocean Rescue in numerous charitable and community events
- Sponsored 2006 Thanksgiving Turkey Give-Away for District 4 Constituents
- Co-Hosted Miami-Dade & North Miami Beach Police Safety Day 2006
- Sponsored two boats equipped for the physically and mentally challenged for Anchors Away program
- Hosted Storming Mad Town Hall Meeting on Affordable Hurricane Insurance
- Co-Hosted a book drive at Ghirardelli’s with Florida Association of Women Lawyers to benefit children from CHARLEE and other juvenile facilities.
- Sponsored C.E.R.T Training
- Sponsoring Julia Tuttle Memorial Statue with the Commission on Status of Women
- Sponsored a Government Services Fair
- Sponsored and participated NMB/Aventura Lions Club's "Back to School Backpack Give-Away"
- Co-sponsored the Voices for Children Halloween Luncheon
- Sponsored a Health & Flu Clinic at the McDonald Center in North Miami Beach
- Sponsored Regional Little League Program
- Sponsored a "Spotlight on Government Services" Fair of Miami-Dade County departments
North Miami Beach WaterFest (2006)
Dade County PTA Walk (2006)
Relay for Life - North Miami (2006)
Relay for Life - Aventura (2006)
March of Dimes Walk (2006)
8th Annual Law Day (2006)
Hands on Miami – Art in the Park (2006)
Michael-Ann Russell JCC Quality of Life Celebration (2006)
MetroZoo Tropical America Groundbreaking (2006)
Created Celebrity 5k for Homeless Trust (2006)
Bay Harbor PAL 5k Walk & Run (2007)
ING Miami Marathon and Half Marathon (2007)
Oleta State Park 20th Anniversary and Smokehouse Dedication (2007)
NACo Congressional Leadership Meeting in Washington D.C. (2007)
North Miami Beach Temple Ground Breaking
County Adopt-A-Tree program in partnership with City of North Miami Beach (2006)
American Cancer Society's "Making Strides Walk" (2006)
Susan B. Komen "Race for the Cure" (2006)
Latin Builder's Association Annual Holiday Bike Give-Away with North Miami Beach Police Department (2006)
Miami Tropic 5k Race (2007)
Bay Harbor Islands 5k Race (2007) (add to BHI)
Purina Walk for the Animals (2007)
Opening of new CASA Valentina home (2007)
- Regionalized police reports: obtaining accident and incident reports from NE Intracoastal Station instead of main headquarters (Doral)
- Funded NE Dade Municipal Advisory Study ( MAC) for County produced research and data
- Funded Re-striping of area behind Highland Oaks Elementary School where it abuts the park…in cul-de-sac
- Purchased two Segway Human Transporters for Miami-Dade Police Department Intracoastal Station 6 to enhance community policing efforts.
- Sponsored study of necessity for Economic Development Biscayne Shores UMSA
- Assisted in negotiations for NE Dade Humane Society site
- Created People / Pet Shelter site in Dade County for mandatory evacuation criteria – SOP’s – authority
- Law Library – Integrated Law Library with Public Library System to continue service. Actively pursuing funding sources with Judge Freeman
- New Fire Station: California Club / Highland Oaks / Skylake / UMSA area. Negotiated $1 a year lease for FDOT property and prioritized construction with Commissioner Jordan
- Worked with Solid Waste Management for NE Dade to be first area for automated garbage service – new pails.
- Secured $25,000 in 2005/06 County budget for Michael-Ann Russell JCC Senior Wellness program
- Secured funds in 2005/06 County budget for Jewish Community Services Meals program
- Secured $25,000 in 2005/06 County budget for North Miami Beach Optimist program for NE Dade children
- Supported Miami Tropical Marathon, now in its third year, returning a marathon of international draw back to South Florida with a line item in the budget
- Administratively restructured applications for In-Kind & Fee Waivers to increase accountability, audit and maximize allocations
- Reviewed Boards for relevance – updated requirements, purpose, qualifications and vacancy status. Now maintained on-line thru Clerk’s office for Commission.
- Wrote ordinance to secure construction sites at Tropical Storm Warning advisement
- Initiated Workforce Housing workshop
- Championed line item funds for Animal Services
- Worked with EOC and American Red Cross to create Hurricane Hotel Hotline and the availability of multi-language volunteers at shelters
- Initiated installing additional handrails at Miami-Dade County Auditorium
- Initiated County-wide electronic subpoenas. Savings of approximately one million dollars and assisting law enforcement manpower in all departments.
- Maintained Traffic Flow Capacity and Safety Improvement proposed project: Highland Lakes / 203 rd Street; Biscayne Boulevard and Aventura Boulevard / NE 196 Street / NE 195 Street / William Lehman Causeway / NE 191 Street /
- Advocating South Florida East Coast Corridor Transit Analysis (SFECCT): moving study along; prioritizing as viable corridor for Miami-Dade to address traffic congestion problem
- Creation of Biscayne Corridor CRA Volunteer Advisory Board
- Supported land acquisition funds for Biscayne Bay Coastal Wetlands
- Sponsored ordinance to properly store building supplies and loose property at “Hurricane Watch” status
- Initiated designation of dog park for NE Dade at Greynolds Park – East
- Initiated electronic subpoenas: Police court appearances will be thru e-subpoenas rather than delivered – save money overtime and reducing man-power demands on all police departments. Will prevent appearance of officers when court dates are cancelled.
- Requesting County appeal FEMA denial for Hurricane Katrina assistance to individuals
- Sponsored ordinance to increase number of members to assure quorums for Planning Advisory Board ( PAB) meetings.
- Advocating FEC Light Rail for traffic alternatives
- Initiated a second Miami-Dade of Pet-friendly shelter (in Northeast Dade)
- Furnished all fire and rescue vehicles with feline and canine oxygen equipment
- Attended the NACo Large Urban County Caucus Strategy and Legislation conference North Miami Beach Projects
Back to Top Page Last Edited: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:15:20 PM
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.