Community Relations Board to hold special meeting on next steps to promote non-violence and community empowerment
(MIAMI, FL) - The Miami-Dade Community Relations Board will hold a special meeting to discuss the Next Steps to Promote Non-Violence and Community Empowerment on Wednesday, August 21, 2013 at 2 p.m. at the Stephen P. Clark Center, Board of County Commission Chambers, 111 NW 1st Street in Miami.
The tragic death of 17-year-old high school student Trayvon Martin has raised many questions and concerns among residents of the community where he lived. Issues of bigotry, inequity and profiling are pervasive community relations problems that need to be addressed. Please join us for an exploration of next steps to inform, empower and protect our community.
Presentations will include:
• Congresswoman Frederica Wilson on the United States End Racial Profiling Bill and the Voting Rights Act
• State Representative Cynthia Stafford on Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law
• Ciara Taylor, Political Director for the Dream Defenders, on Youth Action and the School to Prison Pipeline
• U.S. Justice Department on the Investigation of Civil Rights Violations and Hate Crimes
• Community Relations Board on Enhancing Public Trust in Police Investigations and a Community Dialogue on Race
The meeting will be aired live on Miami-Dade Television. For more information contact the Community Relations Board at (305) 375-5730 or email@example.com.
WHO: The Miami-Dade Community Relations Board
WHAT: Special Meeting on Next Steps to Promote Non-Violence and Community Empowerment
WHEN: Wednesday, August 21, 2013, at 2 p.m.
WHERE: Stephen P. Clark Center
111 NW 1st street – Commission Chambers
Miami, FL 33128