Commissioner Xavier Suarez announces 2012 Mom and Pop Grant Program in District 7
The office of Commissioner Xavier L. Suarez will soon be accepting applications for the 2012 Mom and Pop Small Business Program. If you own a business located in District 7, you may qualify to receive up to $5,000 in grant funding to help your business grow. Funding can be used to purchase equipment, supplies, advertising/marketing, inventory, building liability insurance, security systems, professional services, and to make minor renovations.
Applications will be available from January 23, 2012 to February 6, 2012. Small business owners can either download an application on the commissioner’s website at www.miamidade.gov/district07, or pick up an application in person at one of the following locations:
South Miami Office
South Miami City Hall
6130 Sunset Drive
Coconut Grove Office
Frankie Rolle Community Center
3750 South Dixie Highway
Neighbors and Neighbors Association (NANA)
180 NW 62 Street
All businesses must be located in District 7 and meet the following eligible criteria:
• Submit one original application marked original, and one copy marked copy, of the completed application with all requested documentation.
• Provide proof that the business has been operating for the past year (example: any old license, state corporations, sales tax, or utility bill). Proof must be in business name (include copy only).
• Must submit a current Local Business Tax receipt (Miami-Dade County Occupational License) or paid receipt. Business name on application must match one on license (include copy only). If license not required by Miami-Dade County, applicant must provide written proof from Tax Collector’s Department.
• City license if business is located in a municipality within Miami-Dade County or paid receipt (include copy only).
• A printed copy of your active State of Florida Corporation or fictitious name if business is incorporated (sunbiz.org).
• Must submit outside picture of business location (building, home office, or work vehicle).
• Provide copy of picture ID (driver’s license, Florida ID, or immigration card).
• A physical address is required. No P.O Box as mailing address allowed.
• If you have a DUNS # (Data Universal Numbering System), please list it on Section A of the Application Form. (To obtain a DUNS # please call 1.866.705.5711 or visit http://fedgov.dnb.com/webform. This number is issued at NO COST.)
• Businesses that complete job creation forms are required to create a new job. If a new job is NOT created, businesses are required to return all used funding.
• Businesses located in the NRSA (Neighborhood Revitalization Strategy Area) will be given special consideration.
• The Selection Committee has the right to request additional information, accept, or reject any and all applications, as well as create a special pilot project.
• Must attend mandatory information meeting Monday, February 6, 2012 6:00pm at the Frankie Rolle Community Center, 3750 South Dixie Highway.
Applications can be typed or handwritten. Completed applications must be hand delivered to the district offices or NANA from February 6 through February 10, 2012 by 5:00 p.m. No late applications will be accepted. Home-based businesses can apply. Elected officials and government board appointees must get written approval stating no conflict of interest from the Miami-Dade County Commission on Ethics.
Applications will be automatically disqualified if the business is part of a national chain, relocated out of the district during the process, has delinquent loan with Miami-Dade County or a County funded agency, is a non-profit agency, or has more than seven full-time employees (two part-time positions will count as one full-time).
For additional information, contact Lawanza Finney at 305-756-0605.