(Miami-Dade County, FL) -- Seven lucky District 12 students will start college in the fall with some financial assistance, thanks to Commissioner Jose "Pepe" Diaz. On June 30 at his district office, the commissioner congratulated students selected as recipients of his annual scholarship opportunity, and awarded each with a $1,000 check to be used for tuition, books, a computer, or anything school-related.
In order to qualify, students had to attend a high school in District 12, be accepted to a public university in the state of Florida, and have a GPA of 3.0 or higher. In addition, each applicant submitted an essay based on a topic; this year the topic was "What public service means to me."
"Unfortunately, the cost of tuition at our public universities continues to increase, making it more difficult for families to afford higher education for their children," said Commissioner Diaz. "This scholarship will give students a good financial head start as they begin their freshman year. I wish them all the best of luck and know they will be successful in their future endeavors."
This year's winners are:
- Jacquelin Molina from Mater Academy Charter School will be attending Florida State University and majoring in Psychology.
- Claudia Rivero from Mater Academy Charter School will be attending Florida State University and majoring in Biological Sciences.
- Nicole Acevedo from Ronald Reagan Doral Senior High will be attending Florida International University and majoring in Broadcast Journalism & Telecommunications.
- Naffty Castaneda from Mater Academy Lakes High School will be attending Florida International University and majoring in International Relations.
- Yannel Celestrin from Hialeah Gardens High School will be attending Miami-Dade College and majoring in Psychology.
- Nathaly Olivari from Mater Academy Lakes High School will be attending University of Florida and majoring in Finance.
- Ricardo Fraga from Belen Jesuit Preparatory will be attending the University of Miami and majoring in Business and Administration.
For more information, please contact Commissioner Diaz's office at 305-599-1200.
Photo caption 1: (L-R) Yannel Celestrin, Naffy Castaneda, Commissioner Jose "Pepe" Diaz, Nathaly Olivari, and Ricardo Fraga.
Photo caption 2: Commissioner Jose "Pepe" Diaz gives a scholarship check to Naffy Castaneda while Yannel Celestrin (far left) and Nathaly Olivari (far right) look on.
(Photo credits: Ryan Holloway/Miami-Dade County)