(Miami-Dade County, FL) -- The 2012 Mom & Pop Small Business Grant Program will soon be open to residents of District 12. Commissioner Jose “Pepe” Diaz is inviting small business owners in his district to apply for up to $2,500 that can be used to improve and grow their business.
The application period will be from Monday, January 9, 2012 until Friday, January 27, 2012. Applications will be available at the commissioner’s district office, 8345 NW 12th Street in Miami, or on his website at www.miamidade.gov/district12. Applications will be accepted from January 30 until February 3, 2012 by 5 p.m. No late applications will be accepted.
One original and one copy of the application must be submitted. All businesses must be located in District 12 and meet the following criteria:
• Provide proof that the business has been operating for at least one year. (e.g. any old license, state incorporations, sales tax, income tax or utility bill). Proof must be in business name (include copy only).
• Must submit a current Local Business Tax receipt (Miami-Dade County Occupational License) or paid receipt. Business name on application must match one on license (include copy only). If license is not required by Miami-Dade County, applicant must provide written proof from Tax Collector’s Department.
• City License if business is located in a municipality or paid receipt (include copy only).
• A printed copy of your active State of Florida Corporation if business is incorporated (can be located at www.sunbiz.org).
• Must submit outside picture of business location (building, home office, or work vehicle).
• Provide copy of picture ID (driver’s license, Florida ID, or immigration card).
• A physical address is required. No P.O Box as mailing address allowed.
• If applicable at the time of application, provide your Business DUNS & Bradstreet D-U-N-S number. To obtain a D-U-N-S number, please call 1-866-705-5711 or visit http://fedgov.dnb.com/webform.
• Businesses that complete job creation forms are required to create a new job. If a new job is NOT created, businesses are required to return all used funding.
• A mandatory informational meeting will be held on Thursday, January 26 for interested applicants at the Fire Fighters Memorial Building, 8000 NW 21 Street, at 6 p.m.
Applications can be typed or handwritten, and hand-delivered to the commissioner’s office. Home-based businesses can apply, as well as governmental elected officials and board appointees provided they receive written approval stating no conflict of interest from the Miami-Dade County Commission on Ethics.
However, applications will be disqualified if the business is part of a national chain, relocates out of the district during the process, has a delinquent loan with Miami-Dade County, County department, or County-funded agency, has received Mom and Pop funding for two consecutive years, has more than seven full-time employees (two part-time count as one full-time position), or is a non-profit agency.
For more information, please contact Commissioner Diaz’s office at 305-599-1200.