(Miami-Dade County, FL) -- Commissioner Jose “Pepe” Diaz is calling on all high school seniors attending a school in District 12 to apply for his annual scholarship opportunity. The commissioner is offering $1,000 to students planning to attend any Florida college or university. Up to six scholarships will be awarded.
Students must meet the following requirements to be eligible:
• Must currently be a high school senior at a District 12 school: Ronald Reagan/Doral, Hialeah Gardens, Belen Jesuit Preparatory, Doral Academy Charter, Mater Academy Charter, or Hialeah Educational Academy.
• Plans to attend a college or university in the State of Florida. Copy of the acceptance letter must be provided.
• Must have an unweighted GPA of 3.0 or higher.
• Copy of SAT scores and/or ACT Scores
• Two letters of recommendation from non-relatives. Letters cannot be longer than one page each. Do not attach more than the requested amount. Please provide the originals plus two copies.
• Answer essay question on application. Essay should be typed, double spaced, and have 1-inch margins on white paper. Each question must be a minimum of 1,000 words. Provide an original plus two copies.
• Completed application. Original plus 2 copies.
• All applications must be returned to the commissioner’s office in a large yellow clasped envelope.
“It’s certainly a joy for parents to see their child go off to college, but financing higher education may be an issue,” said Commissioner Diaz. “This scholarship has helped many students supplement the cost of tuition, textbooks, computers, or other supplies needed for a successful freshman year in college.”
Applications are available for download on Commissioner Diaz’s website at www.miamidade.gov/district12. Completed applications can be mailed or hand delivered to the commissioner’s office:
Commissioner Jose “Pepe” Diaz
Attn: Andy Dielingen
8345 NW 12th Street
Miami, FL 33126
The deadline to apply for the scholarship is Friday, April 13, 2012 by 5 p.m. No late applications will be accepted. If you have any questions, please contact Andy Dielingen at 305-599-1200 or email@example.com.