Erika Advisory # 1 – Ready: Residents advised to be in the "ready" phase for Tropical Storm Erika
MIAMI (August 28, 2015) – Miami-Dade’s Office of Emergency Management (OEM) is closely monitoring the movement of Tropical Storm Erika. At this time, all Miami-Dade County services continue normal operations.
The Miami-Dade County Emergency Operations Center (EOC) will continue to operate at a Level 2, partial activation status effective 7 a.m. on Friday, August 28. Under Level 2 status, OEM staff, county officials and partner agencies are required to report to the EOC.
While Miami-Dade County is not in immediate danger, all residents and businesses should check their disaster kits, review their hurricane plans and remain alert to new information and instruction about the developing storm. Specifically, residents are urged to:
- Make sure that emergency equipment, such as hurricane shutters and battery-powered radios, are in good working order;
- Ensure that sufficient emergency supplies (e.g., nonperishable food and water) are on hand for each person in the home to last at least three days;
- Obtain and store materials necessary to properly secure your home;
- Secure yard and construction debris so they do not pose a hazard during a storm;
- Take tree trimmings to a local trash & recycling center;
- Find out if you live in a flood or evacuation zone by visiting miamidade.gov; and
- If you live in a surge planning zone determine, in advance, where you will stay, how you will get there, and what supplies you will take if you are ordered to evacuate. Also, plan your departure time so ample time is allowed to get to a safe area. Miami-Dade surge planning zone maps are available on our website.
The 3-1-1 Answer Center has extended its hours of operation from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. tomorrow, August 29, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. To reach the 3-1-1 Answer Center, residents can dial 3-1-1 in Miami-Dade or 305-468-5900, TDD: 305-468-5402 or via email email@example.com. Specialists are taking calls in English, Spanish and Creole. Residents can access disaster-related information 24 hours a day on the OEM website located at www.miamidade.gov/oem.
OEM is committed to working with its partners and the community to lessen the impact of disasters and potential catastrophic incidents. OEM accomplishes its mission through planning, response, and coordination of information and resources.