DuPuis Medical Office and Drugstore Lemon City Post Office
6041-6045 NE 2nd Avenue
This historic 1902 drug store and post office is one of the few remaining buildings from the pioneer community of Lemon City.
When Dr.John DuPuis, who was fondly called the “Lemon Doctor”, constructed it it was the only concrete building north of downtown.
Dr. John G. DuPuis constructed his medical office and drug store in the rural community of Lemon City four years after he arrived in South Florida. One of the region's most noted early physicians and community leaders, In 1915 DuPuis founded the Dade County Agricultural School, later renamed Miami Edison. And established what would become one of the area's largest dairies. This traditional Masonry Vernacular style building features pressed metal detailing typical of turn-of-the-twentieth-century American commercial architecture.