D.A. Dorsey House 250 NW 9th St. Built in 1915 by real estate magnate and the area’s first Black millionaire D.A. Dorsey for his bride, the Dorsey House boasted electricity throughout. It now houses the Overtown Civic Partnership, an initiative of the Collins Center/Knight Foundation whose goal is to transform Overtown into an urban center.
Dorsey House was the home of Dana Albert (D.A.) Dorsey. Dorsey started as a carpenter and acquired his millions buying land, building houses, and renting to Blacks. This respected philanthropist, who once owned today's exclusive Fisher Island, donated land to local government for a library, schools, and a park in the Black community. In tribute, Northwest 3 Avenue bears his name. The replica of the original home of D.A. Dorsey was completed and dedicated in 1995. It is the first completed project of the Historic Overtown Folklife Village (NR)