As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Junior Cadet Program
The Junior Cadet Program offers high school students between the ages of 14 and 18 the opportunity to explore careers in the fire rescue service.
The Junior Cadet Recruit Class is a 14-week training program. The programs extensive training includes a combination of instructional coursework, community service activities, and a "ride-along" program, during which Junior Cadets work side-by-side with Miami-Dade firefighters on medical rescue units, assisting the crews during real emergency incidents.Back to Top
Students interested in joining the Junior Cadet Program must fill out an application and attend one regularly scheduled meeting. The applicant will be contacted when a new recruit class is scheduled.
Parents/guardians are not required to accompany the student for the application process, but they are welcome to attend. Once a student has been chosen and notified to begin a Recruit Class, the parent/guardian will be required to attend an Advisor/Parent meeting that will explain the entire Recruit Class process, including the requirements for Recruit Class graduation, and details about the full Junior Cadet program.Back to Top
Training and coursework
- CPR Course - Certification in adult, child, and infant CPR.
- Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) - A first aid certification course that teaches students how to provide initial assessment and treatment to victims of medical and trauma emergencies.
- Station Etiquette & Equipment Familiarization - Through coursework and station visits, students learn about firehouse rules and etiquette. They also learn about fire rescue vehicles and all of the equipment carried on the vehicles, providing them with the knowledge and skills they will need when they begin riding on operational MDFR units as Junior Cadets.
- Physical Training - Students are required to participate in physical training exercises, which include push-ups, sit-ups, running and other physical activities.
- Each Recruit Class student must pay a one-time fee to cover the cost of books, supplies and the fees for CPR and First Responder certifications. The total cost per student is approximately $250.00 and is non- refundable.
- Students will only be allowed one absence during the 14-week Recruit Class, and may only be late two times. Tardiness over 15 minutes will be considered an absence.
- Students must earn a passing score of 80% on all exams.
- Failure of the 2nd exam or performance objective will result in self-elimination from the recruit class.
- Students must maintain a high school GPA of 2.0 or greater during the Recruit Class, and this requirement continues once the student graduates into the Junior Cadet Program.
- Black Pants
- Plain White Polo Shirt
- Black Socks
- Black Closed-toe Shoes
- A Watch
- Physical Training Uniform - brought daily to Recruit Class (plain blue shorts, plain gray t-shirt, and white socks)
Upon satisfactory completion of all required exams and performance objectives, the student graduates into the Junior Cadet Program and is asked to pay $5.00 a month to help offset the cost of food, equipment, supplies, and activities. Each Junior Cadet is issued a complete uniform but is responsible for providing their own black steel-toe boots.
Junior Cadets will receive community service hours for all first aid and community service events that he/she attends. Typically, a Junior Cadet earns an average of 125 to 200 community service hours per year, depending on how active they choose to be in service activities.Back to Top Page Last Edited: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:46:59 AM
Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Department
9300 NW 41st Street
Miami, Florida 33178
Meetings: Friday Evenings
6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.