Miami-Dade Fire Rescue (MDFR) wants to keep county residents safe as they celebrate the Miami Heat’s NBA World Championship victory at the parade on Monday, June 25, 2012. To make this a memorable experience, remember the following before heading out to downtown Miami.
• Be alert. Make sure you are aware of your surroundings. If you have a purse or a bag make sure it is secure and safe.
• Carry a bottle of anti-bacterial sanitizer. Where there are crowds, there are germs. Use sanitizer after using the restroom, before handling food, or anytime you touch any questionable surface.
• Choose a rendezvous point. Before heading out designate a meeting area in case you get separated from your friends and family.
• Use the buddy system. Make sure you are with your buddy at all times and seek help if your buddy needs it.
• Bring water. We want to celebrate the Miami Heat, not come down with a case of heat exhaustion. Drink plenty of cool fluids throughout the day, but avoid those that contain caffeine, alcohol or a high sugar content, since they actually contribute to dehydration and make a heat-related illness worse.
• Don’t forget your sunscreen. Protect yourself from the sun and don’t forget to re-apply sunscreen often. You can also bring a hat to be protected from the sun’s harmful rays.
• Squash bites and stings. Don’t forget to apply bug spray so you will not be bothered by pesky critters.
• Be weather wise. Check the forecast before heading out. Bring raincoats and umbrellas if it will rain. If it starts to lightning seek shelter immediately.
For more information, please contact MDFR’s Public Affairs Bureau at 786-331-5200.