Control: Economic Development and Human Services Committee
File Name: COMMITTEE BUDGET PRIORITIES
Agenda Date: 9/12/2007
Agenda Item Number:
DISCUSSION OF COMMITTEE BUDGET PRIORITIES
Audrey M. Edmonson, Prime Sponsor
Economic Development and Human Services Committee
Assistant County Attorney Shannon Summerset read the foregoing discussion item into the record.
Commissioner Moss stressed the importance of identifying and specifying all of the Committee’s budget priorities. He recommended that $0 dollars be allocated to the newly proposed Department of Community Action, that the dedicated 8% of the Documentary Surtax funding for MMAP be maintained, that $300,000 be identified to address the shortfall for the recommended budget for MMAP, and that funding be identified for funding the Community-based organization (CBO) funding process for a full year, and then during the interim have the County Administration conduct a Request for Proposal (RFP) allowing full availability of these funds and monitoring of this CBO process. He proceeded to inform the Committee of the Budget Conference Committee’s intent to review the committees’ priorities and give the County Administration an opportunity to assist the County Commission to achieve its priorities with the least impact on services and the ability to deliver County services.
Commissioner Jordan spoke in connection with the Equal Opportunity Board and noted the County Manager’s recommendation for elimination of 10 positions for the staff support for this advisory board. She asked that this Committee support restoration of at least 6 of those positions for allocation out of the County Service Reserves, and to add this as of the one of the Committee’s budget priorities.
Chairwoman Edmonson proceeded to provide an overview of the Committee’s budget priorities previously identified by the Committee.
Discussion ensued among the Committee members regarding Committee budget priorities along with the other Committee priorities and the role of the Budget Conference Committee in its deliberation of all Committee priorities.
Commissioner Sorenson noted a concern with Equal Opportunity Board quorum issue. She noted the need for an adjustment in the quorum requirements and recommended the Committee address this issue at a later date.
Chairwoman Edmonson noted in addition to the priorities identified in the exhibit entitled, “Discussion-EDHS Budget Priorities,” the Committee by motion duly made, seconded, and carried, amended this document as follows:
1. to add that $0 dollars be allocated to the newly proposed Department of Community Action and Social Services as recommended by Commissioner Moss;
2. to add that the dedicated 8% of the Documentary Surtax funding for MMAP be maintained, and that all of its programs recommended for transfer by the County Manager be restored as recommended by Commissioners Moss and Jordan;
3. to add and specify that Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding be used to restore and maintain the current level of funding for the Greater Miami Service Corps as recommended by Commissioner Jordan;
4. to add and specify that 2 staff positions be added back to the Urban Economic Revitalization Task Force (UERTF) for a total of 3 positions at the approximate amount of $150,000 as recommended by Commissioner Jordan;
5. to add that the County’s Equal Opportunity Board be restored and maintained at a funding level of $437,000 as recommended by Commissioner Jordan; and
6. to add that at least 2 of the 4 job positions in the Office of Community Relations staff be restored and maintained, specifically the Assistant’s position in the amount of $181,000 as recommended by Commissioner Jordan.
Following Commissioner Moss’ inquiry regarding legal standing in setting the Committee priorities, Assistant County Attorney Summerset indicated that the Committee had clearly stated its priorities and the recommended funding amount for approval as of part of the County’s budget.
Commissioner Jordan noted the restoration and maintenance of the boot camp and the Miami-Dade television was a priority of hers, which was not under the Committee’s purview. She concluded her comments by agreeing with Commissioner Moss that whatever becomes a priority would be a part of the framework of each Committee’s recommendation for its priorities.
A brief discussion ensued among the Committee members in connection with other budget priorities that were not under this Committee’s purview.
Following Commissioner Moss’ request for a final motion to incorporate all of the Committee budget priorities with the amendments made at today’s meeting, he moved that the Committee approve all of the Committee Budget priorities with the amendments made at today’s meeting. This motion was seconded by Commissioner Jordan, and upon being put to a vote, passed by a vote of 5-0.
Economic Development and Human Services Committee
There is no text currently available online for this item.