As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Explore Miami on Columbus Day
Celebrate the anniversary of Christopher Columbus' arrival in the New World on Monday, Oct. 10. Take a look at some activities you can enjoy during the holiday, and tips to ensure a safe weekend.
- Miami-Dade County is currently working to combat the Zika virus. Protect yourself and property from the potentially serious diseases that mosquitoes carry. Learn about the importance of Drain and Cover to reduce the mosquito nuisance, and remember to apply repellent.
- Planning on taking the boat out? Sign up for Miami-Dade Marina Alerts for text messages about boat ramp closures and re-openings sent to your phone.
- To be safe for the holidays, remember the Three A's of Crime Prevention: Be Aware of Your Surroundings, Be Alert to Suspicious People and Vehicles, Avoid Dangerous Situations.
- Oleta River Canoe Tour: Explore wildlife such as wading birds, osprey, fish, and endangered manatees. This trip takes place Oct. 9.
- Columbus Day Regatta: This time-honored sailing event returns Oct. 8-9.
- Family Fun Day: Check out HistoryMiami's new exhibition, The Discipline of Nature: Architect Alfred Browning Parker in Florida on Oct. 8, and discover some of Miami’s unique architectural designs.
History of the New World
Early in the morning of October 12, 1492, a sailor on board the Pinta sighted land, beginning a new era of European exploration and expansion. The next day, the ninety crew members of Columbus’ three-ship fleet ventured onto the Bahamian island that he named San Salvador (now Watling Island, and then called Guanahaní by the natives), ending a voyage begun nearly ten weeks earlier in Palos, Spain.Page Last Edited: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:29:13 PM
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.