At this time, Miami-Dade County is monitoring Hurricane Matthew.
Please visit our Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
Miami-Dade County offices will be closed on Monday, Jan. 18 to commemorate the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Browse for a listing of events that will be held to celebrate the holiday as well as the County services affected.
- Waste Management
- There will be no curbside garbage or trash collection services provided by Miami-Dade County.
- Recycling service will be provided.
- Neighborhood Trash and Recycling Centers, administrative offices and regional transfer stations will be closed.
- The Resources Recovery Facility, North Dade Landfill and South Dade Landfill will be open and observe regular hours of operation.
- Miami-Dade Transit will assume a normal weekday schedule with the exception of Metrobus Route 95 Express from Golden Glades, which will run slightly less frequently.
- Route 95 Express will run approximately every 10 to 15 minutes between Golden Glades and downtown Miami.
- The first and last trips in the morning and afternoon will leave as currently scheduled.
- All trips to and from the Civic Center / VA Hospital, Brickell, Miami Gardens Dr. /Carol City, Aventura Mall & Earlington Heights / Doral will have minor service adjustments of up to five minutes.
- Miami‑Dade libraries will be closed Sunday, Jan. 17 and Monday, Jan. 18.
MLK Day Events
- Candlelight Vigil in North Miami honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Jan. 13
Salute the work and the vision of Dr. King through spoken word, song and dance performances by students from our local schools, including colleges and universities, at the Museum of Contemporary Art's plaza. Participate in a circle of unity as we come together to keep the dream alive.
- 4th Annual MLK Business Expo Jan. 15
The free community event will provide products and services in the South Dade area, and will give a chance to network with key business professionals, get insight on government services, and much more.
- 33rd Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. 5K Run Walk Jan. 18
This race starts at 8 a.m. at the Dr. Martin Luther King Metrorail Station at 6205 NW 27th Avenue. From there, attend the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day Parade that kicks off at Northwest 54th Street.
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day Parade Jan. 18
Miami celebrates with the annual MLK Jr. Parade in Liberty City. The parade takes place along NW 54th Street, from NW 12th Avenue to NW 32nd Avenue. It The Black Heritage Festival immediately follows at Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Park. Parade-goers will expect high school marching bands, athletes, cheerleaders, floats, cars and fire trucks with local politicians.
- I Have a Dream – The Broadway Musical Jan. 19
This musical highlights one of America’s iconic heroes Martin Luther King Jr. in a gospel musical that takes place during the civil rights movement.
"Everybody can be great, because everybody can serve." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke those words many years ago, but you can put them into action here and now by taking part in a community project commemorating the celebrated civil rights leader and humanitarian.
- All for Good Volunteer Events
Join other volunteers from throughout the County to work in building benches, painting murals, cleanup and other enhancements. Become part of Dr. King's legacy through service.
- Y.M.C.A South Florida Jan. 15-18
Make your day off a “day on” by giving back to the community through a meaningful project. Become a sponsor or volunteer on one of the 20 projects available.
- FIU Day of Service Jan. 16
Every year, FIU students, faculty, staff, and friends of the university come together to create solutions to social problems in the community. FIU encourages taking a Day On, Not Off! Find your favorite site to volunteer and join in!
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service & Crandon Gardens Canoe Tour Jan. 16
Join us on beautiful Key Biscayne for Martin Luther King, Jr.'s legacy of service at Crandon Park. This free volunteer beach cleanup will begin at 9 a.m. and will last until noon at Goulds Park (volunteer hours available). After an hour lunch break we’ll embark on a Crandon Gardens Canoe Tour. Paddle through the peaceful waterways of the Crandon Gardens and learn their history as you navigate the still-standing murals and structures of what was once the Crandon Zoo, please bring your own lunch. This program is less than one mile long and lasts roughly 45 minutes and is $30 per person. For more information and reservations call 305-666-5885.
- HandsOn Miami Jan. 16-18
HandsOn Miami will present three signature events that honor the work of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr: The 3rd Annual Human Race of South Florida, America’s Sunday Supper, and MLK Signature Day of Service.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. National Service Day Celebrations Jan. 18
Branches will once again celebrate and honor Martin Luther King, Jr. through a day of community service in Florida City and South Miami.
- Art Deco Weekend Jan. 15-18
Art Deco Weekend is a tribute to the Art Deco era and involves a series of top notch events over this three-day weekend including classic cars, the parade, fashion shows, and more.
- Life in Color-“The World’s Largest Paint Party” Jan. 16
Step out of reality and immerse yourself in a world filled with music, art, and color! Life in Color offers art installations, attractions, chill zones and live music.
- South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center Jan. 16-17
John Pizzarelli, the world-renowned jazz guitarist and singer will be performing at SMDCAC on Jan. 16, while Arlo Guthrie is celebrating Alice’s Restaurant 50th Anniversary Tour on Jan. 17.
- The fourth South Florida One-Minute Play Festival at Deering Estate Jan. 16-18
America’s largest and longest running short form theatre company features one-minute plays by over 40 established and emerging South Florida playwrights commissioned for this event.
- New Lunch & Learn programs
Bring your lunch and beverage and join us at Arch Creek Park or A.D. Barnes Park at 12:15 p.m. for an informative Nature Center talk. These free hands-on programs are led by expert naturalists every Tuesday and Thursday – the perfect way to spend your lunch break! Topics will vary each week, many of which include live animals or artifacts! The program is free. For more information call 305-666-5885.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.