As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
Miami-Dade County offices will be closed on Monday, Jan. 16 to commemorate the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Browse for a listing of events that will be held to celebrate the holiday as well as the County services affected.
- Solid Waste Management
- There will be no curbside garbage or trash collection services provided by Miami-Dade County.
- Recycling service will be provided.
- Neighborhood Trash and Recycling Centers, administrative offices and regional transfer stations will be closed.
- The Resources Recovery Facility, North Dade Landfill and South Dade Landfill will be open and observe regular hours of operation.
- Miami-Dade Transit will assume a normal weekday schedule with the exception of Metrobus Route 95 Express from Golden Glades, which will run slightly less frequently.
- Route 95 Express will run approximately every 10 to 15 minutes between Golden Glades and downtown Miami.
- The first and last trips in the morning and afternoon will leave as currently scheduled.
- All trips to and from the Civic Center / VA Hospital, Miami Gardens Dr. /Carol City, Aventura Mall & Earlington Heights / Doral will operate as scheduled except for the 5:22 pm trip to Carol City which will leave later at 5:27 pm.
- Miami‑Dade libraries will be closed Sunday, Jan. 15 and Monday, Jan. 16.
- Animal Services
- The Pet Adoption and Protection Center will be closed on Monday, Jan. 16.
- Cats being presented for Trap, Neuter, Return (TNR) Services must be dropped off no later than Friday, Jan.13 in order to allow for proper recovery from sterilization and safe return to the community prior to the holiday.
- The Pet Adoption and Protection Center will be open on Tuesday, Jan. 17.
MLK Day Events
- Candlelight Vigil in North Miami honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Jan. 11
Join us as we salute the work and the vision of Dr. King through spoken word, song and dance. Participate in a circle of unity as we come together to keep the dream alive.
- 5th Annual MLK Business Expo Jan. 13
The free community event will provide products and services in the South Dade area, and will give a chance to network with key business professionals, get insight on government services, and much more.
- 34th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. 5K Run Walk Jan. 16
This race starts at 8 a.m. at the Dr. Martin Luther King Metrorail Station at 6205 NW 27th Avenue. From there, attend the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day Parade that kicks off at Northwest 54th Street.
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day Parade Jan. 16
Miami celebrates with the annual MLK Jr. Parade in Liberty City. The parade takes place along NW 54th Street, from NW 10th Avenue to NW 32nd Avenue. The Pan-African & Caribbean Family Festival immediately follows at Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial Park. Parade-goers will expect high school marching bands, athletes, cheerleaders, floats, cars and fire trucks with local politicians. For more information call 305-857-8246.
"Everybody can be great, because everybody can serve." Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. spoke those words many years ago, but you can put them into action here and now by taking part in a community project commemorating the celebrated civil rights leader and humanitarian.
- All for Good Volunteer Events
Join other volunteers from throughout the County to work in building benches, painting murals, cleanup and other enhancements. Become part of Dr. King's legacy through service.
- 13th Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Inspirational Weekend Jan. 13-16
Make your day off a “day on” by giving back to the community through a meaningful project. Become a sponsor or volunteer.
- Amelia Earhart Park Jan. 14
Park beautification projects will include tree mulching, litter removal, painting, and landscaping. Community service hours will be awarded to all participants who complete the projects.
- HandsOn Miami Jan. 14 and 16
HandsOn Miami will present two signature events that honor the work of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr: The 4th Annual Human Race of South Florida and MLK Signature Day of Service.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. National Service Day Celebrations Jan. 16
Branches will once again celebrate and honor Martin Luther King, Jr. through a day of community service in Florida City and South Miami.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.