Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Emergency Operations Center has been activated and is closely monitoring Erika. For any updates about County facilities and services, please visit: http://www.miamidade.gov/emergency
On Memorial Day on Monday, May 25, we remember and honor the sacrifices of men and women who served to preserve our freedom. Take a look at some activities you can enjoy during the holiday, and tips to ensure a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Miami-Dade County offices will be closed on Monday, May 25.
- Memorial Day Tribute Program hosted by the Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. May 19 at the Dade County Courthouse, 73 West Flagler St.
- Remembering Our Heroes: Memorial Day Rememberance Ceremony at 11 a.m. May 25 at Woodlawn Park Cemetery in Miami.
Here are a few fun options the whole family can enjoy.
- Memorial Day BBQ May 25 at Pérez Art Museum Miami
Some South Florida museums are part of the Blue Star Museums Initiative, which offers free admission to military personnel and immediate families this summer, starting Memorial Day through Labor Day:
- Memorial Day Sea Kayak and Snorkel Adventure: Kayak on the beautiful shallow waters of Key Biscayne on May 25 and explore the protected areas of the Bear Cut Preserve where land meets the sea.
- Coral Gables Waterway Canoe Tour: This guided tour on May 25 will teach you the about the delightful blend of unique natural vistas, abundant wildlife and historic landmarks throughout the Coral Gables Waterway as you make your way toward Biscayne Bay.
Traffic and Safety
Use these tips to keep your weekend safe and free of stress.
- Urban Beach Week returns, and that means major changes in traffic patterns on the roadways in and around Miami Beach. Here's what you'll need to know about traffic and parking restrictions in the area.
- Skip driving altogether, if possible. Walk or cab it instead. If you do take to the road, be aware of these roadway construction projects before you go.
- If you're planning a boat excursion, always wear a life jacket and be sure to call ahead before heading to Miami-Dade County marinas to find out the best launch times to avoid delays, as well as to get updates on traffic and parking conditions. Sign up for Miami-Dade Marina Alerts for text messages about boat ramp closures and re-openings sent to your phone.
- Keep hydrated in the heat to avoid symptoms of heatstroke and heat exhaustion.
- When at the pool, keep an eye on young children and make sure they are supervised.
- Pool safety lights create be a hazard at home. Learn about a permit for a safer, low-voltage option for residential pools now available or other options to avoid potential danger.
- It's that time again for barbecue and grilling. Stay safe by following these tips from Miami-Dade Fire Rescue.
- Enjoy a safe day at the beach.
- Hurricane Season is just around the corner, starting on June 1.
Find out more about this historic day.Page Last Edited: Tue May 12, 2015 5:02:05 PM
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.