On Monday, May 27, Memorial Day is observed as we remember and honor the sacrifices of men and women who served to preserve our freedom. Take a look at some activities you can enjoy during the holiday, and tips to ensure a safe Memorial Day weekend.
Miami-Dade County offices will be closed on Monday, May 27 in observance of Memorial Day.
Whether by land, air or sea, here are fun options the whole family can enjoy.
- Enjoy Bluegrass music, a car show, art exhibit and airplanes doing what airplane do at the Wings Over Miami Memorial Day Festival, May 25, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Kendall Tamiami Executive Airport.
- Feeling daring or want to try something new? Try paintball at Homestead Air Reserve Park. This will definitely get your heart pumping as you play this adrenaline-boosting sport.
- If you want walk at a nice easy pace this weekend, there are many County parks that offer great vistas and trails to make your stroll more engaging! If you’re looking to challenge yourself, join the County’s Walking Club, where you can track your progress and be awarded with prizes for personal achievements!
- The water is always a welcome setting for weekend getaways, like Memorial Day weekend. Get the kids excited by visiting Larry and Penny Thompson Park, where waterslides lead into refreshing pool waters!
- Stop by the Deering Estate at Cutler and enjoy a Butterfly Walk on Saturday & Sunday at 12:30 p.m. The Butterfly Walk is free with regular admission. Deering will be open regular business hours (10 a.m.-4 p.m.) on Memorial Day.
Tips for the Weekend
Memorial Day is a great time to enjoy everything Miami-Dade County has to offer. Here are some tips to keep your weekend safe and stress-free.
- Avoid driving. Walk or cab it. It will be a lot more fun and less stressful that way. If you do take to the road, be aware of these roadway construction projects before you go.
- Keep hydrated in the heat to avoid symptoms of heatstroke and heat exhaustion.
- When at the pool, keep an eye on young children and make sure they are supervised.
- It's that time again for barbecue and grilling. Stay safe by following these tips from Miami-Dade Fire Rescue.
- Enjoy a safe day at the beach.
- If you're planning a boat excursion, always wear a life jacket and be sure to call ahead before heading to Miami-Dade County marinas.
Find out more about this historic day.Page Last Edited: Fri May 24, 2013 3:26:00 PM
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.