Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Portal will be undergoing maintenance starting at 11 p.m. Saturday, May 3 and for all of Sunday, May 4. Intermittent outages may be experienced. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Thank you for your patience as we improve our online services.
2014-15 Winter Holiday Guide
From school break camps, to consumer and safety tips, to fun things to do with the whole family – our Winter Guide will lighten your load and brighten your spirits this holiday season. Are you planning a getaway or expecting visitors? We've wrapped it all up for you and tied it in a little bow.
- Dec. 31 - Open 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Jan. 1 - Closed
Curbside waste, trash and recycling
For customers of Miami-Dade County’s Public Works and Waste Management Department, the following is the upcoming holiday service schedule.
- Dec. 26
- Christmas trees can now be taken to most neighborhood Trash and Recycling Centers to be recycled.
- Jan. 1
- Trash and Recycling Centers services will be provided as scheduled.
- Commercial disposal facilities will be open.
- Administrative offices are closed.
- Dec. 31
- Metrobus, Metrorail and Metromover will operate on a regular weekday schedule.
- After 8 p.m., Metrorail will continue regular weekday service with a 15-minute frequency between the Dadeland South and Earlington Heights stations; and every 30 minutes between the Palmetto and Earlington Heights stations. This service will be extended into January 1, 2015.
- The last northbound and southbound trains will depart from the Government Center Station at approximately 2 a.m.
- Metromover service also will be extended until approximately 2 a.m. on Wednesday, January 1, 2015.
- Jan. 1
- Metrobus, Metrorail and Metromover will operate on a Sunday schedule.
- This means that weekday only routes, such as the I-95 Dade-Broward Express and the I-95 Express going to Golden Glades, will not be providing service on January 1, 2015.
3-1-1 Answer Center
- Dec. 31 - 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. (regular business hours)
- Jan. 1 - closed
Animal Services shelter
- Dec. 31 - the shelter is open at 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Jan. 1 - the shelter will be closed.
- Celebrate New Year's at Bayfront Park
Ring in the New Year at Miami's largest free dance party at Bayfront Park on Dec. 31 starting at 8 p.m., and ending when Big Orange rises to the top at midnight.
- Arsht Center for the Performing Arts
The Arsht Center for the Performing Arts kicks off its 2014-2015 season with Broadway shows ''The Colors of Christmas,'' Free Gospel Sundays,'' ''The Nutcracker,'' and so much more, now through Jan. 2015.
- Parks Winter Break Camps
Keep your child active and connected to nature by enrolling them in one of the many fun and affordable Winter Break Camps offered by Miami-Dade County Parks. Situated at convenient locations all over Miami-Dade County, these camps run from Dec. 22 to Jan. 2 and are open weekdays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (except Christmas and New Year's Day). Early drop-off and late pickup hours are also available. Sign up your kids today.
- Celebrate the Holiday Season at Deering Estate
Check out the exciting line-up at the historic Deering Estate at Cutler plenty of events for the entire family to enjoy!
- Holiday Enrichment
Our animals like to get in the holiday spirit too! Come and visit Zoo Miami this December to see them enjoy their special treats and presents.
- Zoo Lights
Zoo Miami will open at night for a special holiday event with bright animal shaped lights & thousands of dazzling tree lights starting Dec. 19 – Dec. 30 (closed Dec. 24 & 25) from 7 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- A Home for Every Holiday
Animal Services is offering 50 percent off pet adoption fees during our Home for Every Holiday promotion from Dec. 1-31. Stop by Animal Services or any of our mobile and off-site adoption events and connect with, adopt and fall in love with an adorable pet!
- Local food cookbook makes the perfect stocking stuffer
Need a few fresh ideas for your holiday feast? Consuming foods harvested closer to home is better for your health, as well as better for the environment. A new cookbook, Local Flavor: Recipes Raised in the Florida Redland features a variety of recipes you can make with locally-grown ingredients.
- Baby Stroller Permits
After a hectic day of holiday shopping with your sweet-but-tired munchkin, wouldn't it be nice to have a parking space nearby where you can unload? A Baby Stroller Permit costs only $35 and replacement permits will be $10. Permits are good until your child turns three years old.
- Golden Passport
If you are a senior citizens 65 years and over and a permanent Miami-Dade resident, you are eligible to ride transit free with a Golden Passport EASY Card.
- Give the gift of a most unique experience
The holiday season brings the finest weather of the year to Miami, so why not give your loved one a gift with a taste of the outdoors? Check out the Parkstore for experiences such as birding tours, recreational sports packages, kayaking and much more. Or make a more permanent gift: buy an Adopt-a-Park or Adopt-a-Tree package to make a lasting mark on our future. And if you purchase a Parks Foundation Family Membership before Dec. 31, you get $25 off the price.
- Zoo Miami Membership
Skip long lines, get discounts on food, drinks, gifts and other benefits at Zoo Miami.
- HistoryMiami Membership
A one-year membership entitles you to free year-round admission, discounts to special events and city tours, a 10 percent discount at the gift shop and more. For more information please see the HistoryMiami Membership Benefits page.
- Airport Security - know before you go what's allowed and what's not
- Real-time Flight Tracker - check your flight status before jetting off to the airport
- Cruise Season - new ships, new lines at PortMiami
- Take the train to the plane - At only $2 each way and $4 a day for long-term parking, you'll be raving about the savings.
- Support county programs or services
Make a tax deductible donation to the services that matter most to you. Celebrate the spirit of the holiday by giving back to your community through a donation. There are many worthy organizations that can use your help.
- Animal Services Foster parent Program
Have you ever considered fostering a dog or cat in need of a home? Fostering adoptable animals to live in a temporary home opens up more space at the shelter, giving more homeless pets a second chance at a new life!
Consumer and safety tips
- Fireworks safety
- Holiday cooking safety
- Can the Grease
- Fats, Oils and Grease
- Protecting your identity
- Cold weather safety
- Water Conservation
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.