At this time, Miami-Dade County is monitoring Hurricane Matthew.
Please visit our Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
2015-16 Winter Holiday Guide
From school break camps, to consumer and safety tips, to fun things to do with the whole family – our Winter Holiday Guide will lighten your load and brighten your spirits. Are you planning a getaway or expecting visitors? We've wrapped it all up for you and tied it in a little bow.
County administrative offices
- Dec. 31 - Open 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Jan. 1 - Closed
Curbside waste, trash and recycling
For customers of Miami-Dade County’s Public Works and Waste Management Department, the following is the holiday service schedule.
- Jan. 1
- Trash and recycling services will be provided as scheduled.
- All disposal facilities will be open.
- Administrative offices are closed.
Metrobus, Metrorail and Metromover will operate on the following schedules:
- Dec. 31 - On a regular weekday schedule.
- Metrorail will operate on a regular weekday schedule with a 15-minute frequency between Dadeland South and Earlington Heights Metrorail stations; and every 30 minutes between Palmetto and Earlington Heights stations.
- Metrorail and Metromover service will be extended until approximately 4 a.m. into Friday, New Year’s Day, Jan. 1, 2016
- Parking facilities at Metrorail stations will remain open through the following day, Friday, Jan. 1, 2016.
- Due to New Year's Eve festivities, Miami-Dade Transit will be adding bus service to the following routes to better serve passengers:
- Additional bus service will be provided on Route S (Route 119) and the Beach MAX (Route 120), serving Miami Beach.
- There will be more bus service added to Routes 3 and 16 in the area of Biscayne Boulevard; Route 11, along Flagler Street, and Route 8, along Southwest 8th Street.
- Jan. 1 - On a Sunday schedule.
- This means that weekday only routes, such as the I-95 Dade-Broward Express and the I-95 Express going to Golden Glades, will not be providing service on Jan. 1, 2016.
3-1-1 Contact Center
- Dec. 31 - 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. (regular business hours)
- Jan. 1 - Closed
Animal Services shelter
- Dec. 31 - Closing at 5 p.m.
- Jan. 1 - Closed
- Cats being presented for Trap, Neuter, Return (TNR) Services must be dropped off no later than 4 p.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 30 in order to allow for proper recovery from sterilization. Normal operating TNR services will resume on Saturday, Jan. 2 at 7 a.m.
- Dec. 31 - Adjusted branch hours
- Jan. 1 and 3 - Closed
- Holiday Wonderland Tour Dec. 1-31
Throughout December, visitors can tour the elegant and historic houses at the Deering Estate, as they come alive with holiday accents and decorations.
- Mobile and off-site pet adoptions Dec. 1-31
Animal Services is waiving adoption fees until Dec. 31. Stop by Animal Services or any of our mobile and off-site adoption events and connect with, adopt and fall in love with an adorable pet!
- Zoo Lights at Zoo Miami Dec. 18-30
Enjoy the dazzling lights, carousel rides and photos with Santa Claus at the Zoo. Zoo Lights will not be open Dec. 24 and 25, while Zoo will be open those days.
- Winter Break Camps Dec. 21-30
Programs will thrill and challenge youngsters, ages 6-14, with a variety of activities from fitness, sports and arts and crafts to games and exciting field trips.
- Holiday Drop-In Activities Dec. 21-Jan. 3
HistoryMiami is hosting holiday craft activities as decorating Hanukkah dreidels, Christmas ornaments, Kwanzaa candles and Diwali rangoli designs, and more.
- Celebrate New Year's at Bayfront Park with Pitbull Dec. 31
Ring in the New Year at Miami's largest free dance party with Pitbull at Bayfront Park starting at 8 p.m., and ending when Big Orange rises to the top at midnight. Ride Miami-Dade Transit and dance the night away.
- Baby Stroller Permits
After a hectic day of holiday shopping with your sweet-but-tired munchkin, wouldn't it be nice to have a parking space nearby where you can unload? A Baby Stroller Permit costs only $35 and replacement permits will be $10. Permits are good until your child turns 3 years old.
- Golden Passport
If you are a senior citizens 65 years and over and a permanent Miami-Dade resident, you are eligible to ride transit free with a Golden Passport EASY Card.
- Zoo Miami Membership
Skip long lines, get discounts on food, drinks, gifts and other benefits at Zoo Miami.
- HistoryMiami Membership
A one-year membership entitles you to free year-round admission, discounts to special events and city tours, a 10 percent discount at the gift shop and more. For more information, visit the HistoryMiami Membership Benefits page.
- PAMM Membership
A membership at the Pérez Art Museum Miami (PAMM) guarantees free museum admission, discount at the PAMM shop, and a great opportunity to enjoy events and amazing exhibitions for the whole family.
- Parks Foundation of Miami-Dade
When you make purchases on amazon.com, use the Parks Foundation of Miami-Dade link and 0.5% of the price of eligible purchases will go to the foundation.
- Airport Security - know before you go what's allowed and what's not
- Real-time Flight Tracker - check your flight status before jetting off to the airport
- Cruise Season - new ships, new lines at PortMiami
- Take the train to the plane - At only $2 each way and $4 a day for long-term parking, you'll be raving about the savings.
- Support county programs or services
Make a tax deductible donation to the services that matter most to you. Celebrate the spirit of the holiday by giving back to your community through a donation. There are many worthy organizations that can use your help.
- Animal Services Foster parent Program
Have you ever considered fostering a dog or cat in need of a home? Fostering adoptable animals to live in a temporary home opens up more space at the shelter, giving more homeless pets a second chance at a new life!
Consumer and safety tipsPage Last Edited: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:32:47 PM
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.