Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Emergency Operations Center has been activated and is closely monitoring Erika. For any updates about County facilities and services, please visit: http://www.miamidade.gov/emergency
2013 Homeless Awareness and Sensitivity Campaign
The Division of Student Services provides a curriculum and video as part of the Homeless Awareness and Sensitivity Campaign. Enter to win an iPad Mini or iPod Touch and Make a DIFFERENCE to Miami-Dade's Homeless.
The Division of Student Services, in collaboration with the Miami-Dade County Homeless Trust, has developed a comprehensive, easy to implement Homeless Awareness and Sensitivity Campaign for schools. The curriculum is in print form at the school sites or can be found on the Student Services website under "Homeless Assistance Program." Additionally, a homeless awareness curriculum video to sensitize students to the plight of the homeless population can be requested from Student Services. This program is aimed at helping students understand that anyone can be homeless and to change the stigma that being homeless does not necessarily mean a person is "bad" or dangerous.
HOMELESS AWARENESS SENSITIVITY CAMPAIGN - PROGRAM DETAILS
Implemented in grades K-12 by School Homeless Liaisons
- Includes a curriculum with lesson plans and video
- Includes a companion contest with prizes for students and School Homeless Liaisons at all school levels
CONTEST TO WIN an iPad Mini OR iPod Touch
To engage students and reinforce program objectives, the program includes a poster, essay, and logo contest, sponsored by the Miami-Dade County Homeless Trust.
- To win an iPad Mini - Poster and Essay Contest
- All elementary and middle schools are eligible to participate in the poster contest; all high schools are eligible to participate in the essay contest.
- Elementary and Middle school students should enter posters that help raise awareness about homelessness
- High school students should enter essays that help raise awareness about homelessness
- Poster and Essay Contest topics are included in the curriculum package
- Three winners will be chosen: one for Elementary School, one for Middle School & one for Senior High School
- Winners of the Poster and Essay Contest will receive an iPad Mini
- School Homeless Liaisons for the schools with students with the winning entries for the Poster and Essay Contest will receive an iPad Mini
2. To win an iPod Touch
- All High School students are eligible to participate
- Students should design a logo for the "Youth Count" (see Flyer below for information)
- The winner of the logo contest will receive an iPod Touch
- The school homeless liaison for the school with the student having the winning logo will receive an iPod Touch
- High School Students may enter both the essay contest and the logo contest for a chance to win 2 prizes
Details of Contest
- To participate, complete the attached entry form
- Entry deadline is: May 1, 2013
- Essays, Posters, & logos will be collected on May 2-3, 2013. (see entry form for collection details)
- Winners will be announced May 13, 2013 with the invitation for the winning student and the School Homeless Liaison to received the gift and commendation by the Homeless Trust Board. This meeting will be held at the Government Center on May 24, 2013.
For more information, please contact Ms. Debra Albo-Steiger, Project Manager, Homeless Education Program, Project UP-START, Division of Student Services, at 305- 995-7318.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.