Skip Navigation

Waiting List

Helen M. Sawyer Plaza ALF

Housing Resources

Community Development

Home Buying

Housing Development

Public Housing

Section 8/HCV

Public Housing Procurement

Public Housing Resident Services

Business Assistance

About Us

Last Visited »

Hurricane Irma

As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.

Assisted Living Facility Frequently Asked Questions

What is the monthly cost to reside in the facility?

There is a monthly fee to cover the cost of rent for the unit and an additional fee to cover the services provided. Both fees combined will not exceed the family's monthly income. Contact the facility at 305-545-3410 for a cost estimate based on family's income.

Do I have to sign a contract?

Yes, at the time of move-in, all residents must sign the Public Housing Lease and the Assisted Living Facility Admission package.

Do I have to pay a security deposit?


Can my spouse reside with me?

Yes, if they meet the assisted living facility criteria and is eligible to reside in the Public Housing Program.

Will I have to switch my primary care physician?

No, residents reserve the right to choose their primary care physician.

Will I have to switch my pharmacy provider?

No, the resident has the choice to remain with their current pharmacy provider or use the facility's provider for their medication needs.

What are facilities visitor's hours?

There are no set visitor's hours. Visitors are always welcome, but must register at the time of entrance and sign out prior to departure.

Can I have guest stay overnight?

Yes, based on Public Housing regulations, guest may stay with a resident for up to 14 consecutive dates. Resident must complete a written request two (2) weeks prior to the visit. All requests will require advance approval by the ALF Administrator. Guest will not receive Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) or Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADLs) services.

Do I have the ability to come and go freely outside the facility?

Yes, however, if a resident chooses to spend and extended amount of time outside the facility they must ensure timely payment of rent and services as applicable.

Does the facility provide transportation services?

The facility will only provide transportation services for medical appointments and/or medical needs.

Will the facility provide furniture if needed?

Yes, upon availability of previously donated items.

Can I bring my own furniture?

Yes, all units are unfurnished.

Will I have an assigned parking space?

There are no assigned parking spaces. Parking is available on a first come first serve basis.

How can I or a family member report a complaint?

To report a complaint, you are asked to contact the Assisted Living Facility (ALF) Administrator at 305-545-3410.

To report a complaint related to services, you may contact the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA) toll-free at 1-888-419-3456.

To report abuse, neglect, or exploitation, you may contact the Florida Abuse Hotline at 1-800-96-ABUSE (1-800-962-2873). Press 1 to report suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation of the elderly or a vulnerable adult. This toll free number is available 24/7.

To report suspected Medicaid fraud, you may contact the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration at toll-free 1-866-966-7226.

Back to Top Page Last Edited: Thu Jun 5, 2014 10:47:21 AM

You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.