Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Emergency Operations Center has been activated and is closely monitoring Erika. For any updates about County facilities and services, please visit: http://www.miamidade.gov/emergency
Miami-Dade Public Housing and Community Development (PHCD) is committed to comply with the requirements under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities ACT (ADA) and Section 504, by providing reasonable accommodation on its housing programs and services to persons with disabilities.
A reasonable accommodation is a change, modification, alteration or adaptation in policy, procedure, practice or program of a housing facility that provides a qualified individual with a disability the opportunity to participate, or benefit from, a housing or non-housing program or activity.
PHCD is actively engaged in developing accessible housing for persons with disabilities through the modification and development of housing facilities and other services, in accordance with the Voluntary Compliance Agreement (VCA) .
- How to qualify
- After application is submitted
- Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) residents
- Emergency evacuations
- Auxiliary Aids Request
How to qualify
An individual may qualify for a reasonable accommodation, upon request and health provider verification, if considered to be a person with disability under the following ADA definition:
- A physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities
- A record of such impairment
- Regarded as having such impairment
Please review and complete the appropriate forms below to begin the qualification process.
- Reasonable Accommodation Request (in Spanish and in Creole ) -- for applicants and program participants.
- Reasonable Accommodation Verification -- for health care providers to verify applicant's accommodation request.
- Live-in Aide Verification -- used by health care provider to verify if applicant requires live-in aide.
- Authorization to Release Information (in Spanish and in Creole )-- to be signed by applicant authorizing the release of disability verification information by health care provider.
Forms can also be obtained at:
- The Applicant Leasing Center, located at 1401 NW 7TH STREET 33125, telephone: 786-469-4300
- Residents of the Public Housing program, from corresponding site managers
- Participants of the Section 8 Moderate Rehabilitation program, from corresponding housing specialist
After application is submitted
If the individual qualifies for the accommodation, and it does not create an undue administrative and financial burden or result in a fundamental alteration in the nature of its programs or activities, PHCD will make the necessary efforts to grant the request or present an alternative accommodation that will meet the needs of the request.
If the reasonable accommodation request is denied, an informal hearing may be requested in writing to PHCD Administrative Services, attention ADA Coordinator, 701 NW 1st Court, Miami, Florida 33136. An informal hearing may also be requested by emailing the ADA Coordinator at PHCDADACoordinator@miamidade.gov or over the phone at 786-469-2155. A notification of scheduled appointment to discuss the case will be sent by mail with date, time and location of the hearing.Back to Top
Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) residents
The forms to request a reasonable accommodation used by Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program are different from PHCD's forms and are reviewed and processed by the Miami-Dade Housing Choice Program's ADA Coordinator.
Forms are also available by calling the Miami-Dade Housing Choice Voucher program office at 305-403-3222.Back to Top
In the event of emergency evacuation, should a Public Housing program household member with disability need assistance, a Release of Disability-Related Special Needs in Case of Emergency Evacuation form must be completed. This form should be completed by the head of household in case of emergency evacuation.
Also, the form for pre-registration for special needs with evacuation is available at the Miami-Dade County's Emergency Evacuation Assistance Program page.
Back to Top
Auxiliary Aids Request
The ADA requires that communication with individuals with hearing loss, visual or speech requirements must be effective and that requested auxiliary aids and services must be available to facilitate communications. Interpreters and other auxiliary aids must be provided free of charge.
- Auxiliary Aids Request -- used by application or program participant to request assistance in communicating.
- Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990
- Federal Fair Housing Act
- Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Miami-Dade County Office of ADA Coordination
- Miami-Dade Commission on Disability Issues
- Miami-Dade County Code Chapter 11A Discrimination
- Miami-Dade ADA Coordinators by Department
- Florida Accessibility Code Chapter 11 of the Florida Building Code
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.