Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Emergency Operations Center has been activated and is closely monitoring Erika. For any updates about County facilities and services, please visit: http://www.miamidade.gov/emergency
About the Office of Human Rights and Fair Employment Practices
The Office of Human Rights and Fair Employment Practices, created by merger of the Office of Fair Employment Practices and the Office of Human Rights in February 2010, promotes fairness and equal opportunity in employment, housing, public accommodations, credit and financing practices, family leave and domestic violence leave in accordance with Chapter 11A of the Miami-Dade County Code.
The Commission on Human Rights investigates allegations of discrimination under federal, state and local laws. The Director and staff are responsible for meeting performance measures as outlined in the department's business plan.
As part of the Health and Human Services strategic area, we
- monitor the County's diversity management and fair employment programs
- promote bias-free work environments in Miami-Dade County
- develop and implements employment policies and programs that ensure diversity and inclusion
- investigate complaints of discrimination
- perform fact-finding and mediation conferences
- resolve workplace conflicts
- develop programs that focus on the creation of supportive and inclusive work environments
- coordinate the enforcement of the County's anti-discrimination ordinance
The Office consults with the Human Resources Career Development Division in the following areas:
- Fair employment practice training
- New employee orientation
OHRFEP acts as a liaison with outside agencies in the following areas:
- With investigations done by agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- In coordinating special recruiting efforts with referring agencies and community organizations
OHRFEP is involved with monitoring and reporting in the following areas:
- Conducting periodic audits and holding regular discussions with supervisors and managers to ensure that policies are implemented
- Assisting in the identification of problem areas through review of policies and procedures and conducting periodic utilization studies
- Ensuring the administration, in a non-discriminatory manner, of an employee performance evaluation program designed to assist employees in meeting performance standards
- Evaluating requirements for promotion on job-related criteria and ensuring that minorities and women are not required to possess higher qualifications than others
- Verifying that referring agencies are referring job-seekers in a non-discriminatory manner
- Recording data for federal reporting and in-house analysis of employment patterns
- Reporting periodically to the Board of County Commissioners and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission on Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action issues
The Office administers the Reasonable Accommodation Fund, established to provide resources for requests for reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. OHRFEP works closely with the Human Resources Department ADA Unit, which processes these requests. Reasonable accommodations are changes or adjustments to a job, a work environment, or an employment screening procedure that permit qualified employees or applicants with a disability to perform essential job functions and participate in the job application process.
The Office counsels employees and applicants concerning their right to file discrimination complaints based on federal anti-discrimination laws with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and complaints based on Florida anti-discrimination statutes with the Florida Commission on Human Relations.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.