Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Emergency Operations Center has been activated and is closely monitoring Erika. For any updates about County facilities and services, please visit: http://www.miamidade.gov/emergency
Before a Hurricane Approaches
Disaster kits and emergency supplies should be ready prior to hurricane season. Once a hurricane warning is declared, preparations should focus on securing your home and property.
- Protect the areas where wind can enter. Secure windows and doors, preferably with permanent, County-approved storm shutters. A second option is to board up windows with 5/8” plywood. You’ll need to cut the boards to fit to have it ready for installation. Tape does NOT prevent windows from breaking.
- Bring in lawn furniture, garbage and recycling carts and other items that are not tied down and could become airborne.
- If you own a boat, use double lines at a marina or consider dry-dock storage.
- Protect your electronics with surge protectors and waterproof coverings.
- Fill prescriptions of emergency medications (consult pharmacist as needed).
- Monitor the storm’s progress.
- Visit www.miamidade.gov or call 3-1-1 for updates on County services. Depending on conditions, bus, rail, garbage collection and recycling service, as well as airport and seaport operations, could be affected.
- Preparedness is not expensive. Many disaster kit items such as flashlights & batteries, garbage bags, etc., may be found around your home. Find out more at the Consumer Survival Kit webpage.
Subscribe now to the County's program to receive text alerts to cell phones or other mobile devices about significant emergency events.
With our webcasting system, you can to tune in to live coverage of emergency press conferences, meetings of the Miami-Dade Board of County Commissioners and much more.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org and request to receive alerts of webcasting meetings today.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.