- Ever since we simplified curbside recycling in 2008, nearly
2x as many peoplerecycle nearly twice as much material.
- In December 2009, residents recycled a record-breaking
5,780 tons of material.This was the highest monthly tonnage collected since curbside recycling was introduced in Miami-Dade County in 1990.
Water & Sewer
- Our Water & Sewer Department has kept water rates almost
50 percent cheaperthan projected just four years ago, even as we improve the system.
- Our drinking water made Forbes.com's
top 10 listfor clean drinking water nationwide. It ranked fourth out of 77 metropolitan statistical areas.
312 million-- that's the number of gallons the County provides to residents & businesses in an average day!
Garbage / Solid Waste
- The Department of Solid Waste's highly reliable waste collection service continues to boast a monthly complaint rate of only 2 complaints per
- Remember waiting up to three weeks for bulky waste pickup? Our Solid Waste Management department now averages 6 days for a pickup.
- Our Solid Waste Department saved more than
$2.7 millionin budgeted overtime costs in the administrative and operations divisions.
- In 2010, we collected approximately
2.5 million poundsof electronic waste (e-waste) from County residents.
- The County's waste-to-energy Resource Recovery Facility processed
1.5 millions tonsof garbage and trash into fuel which is used to generate electricity to power the on-site operation and provide for the annual electrical needs of
Building and Neighborhood Compliance
- By implementing the Chinese Drywall Permit Expedite Program that features reduced permitting fees and processing times, the Building and Neighborhood Compliance Department has saved residents time and reduced permitting, plan review and inspection costs by nearly
- Across Miami-Dade, we have more than
1,500 illuminated street signs, making driving at night easier and safer.
- We maintain more than
20,000 street lightsand coordinate more than
2,800 traffic signalsevery day.
- We've planted
383,000 new treessince 2006.