Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Portal will be undergoing maintenance starting at 11 p.m. Saturday, May 3 and for all of Sunday, May 4. Intermittent outages may be experienced. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Thank you for your patience as we improve our online services.
Personal Injury Protection Medical Providers
On February 21, 2012, the Miami-Dade County Board of County Commissioners passed Ordinance Number 12-08, requiring certain Medical Providers that provide medical or physical therapy treatment to patients claiming injury from an automobile accident to register with Miami-Dade County Department of Regulatory and Economic Resources (RER).
The Personal Injury Protection Medical Provider Ordinance, as approved, requires medical providers located in Miami-Dade County to register with RER if they meet the following criteria:
- Provide medical or physical therapy treatment to patients or clients claiming an injury from an automobile accident and derive:
- 90% or more of its monthly gross income from billing Personal Injury Protection Insurance Providers; or
- $200,000 or more in gross income during a 12-month period from the billing of Personal Injury Protection Insurance Providers.
Exempt from registration if:
- Licensed as a facility pursuant to Chapter 395, Florida Statutes;
- The majority of the physicians, who provide services in the facility, primarily provide surgical services for the facility;
- Owned by a publicly held corporation whose shares are traded on a national exchange or on the over-the-counter market and whose total assets at the end of the corporation’s most recent fiscal quarter exceeded $50 million;
- Affiliated with an accredited Florida medical school for the education of physicians licensed under Chapters 458, 459 or 460 of the Florida Statutes, at which training is provided for medical osteopathic, or chiropractic students, residents, or fellows;
- Owned by a corporate entity exempt from federal taxation under U.S.C. 501(c)(3) or (4);
- Perform only magnetic resonance imaging, static radiographs, computed tomography, or position emission tomography; or
- Accredited by the Joint Commission as an Outpatient/Ambulatory Care clinic.
Registration requires a completed application, proof of state licenses for individual medical service provider; designation of a responsible licensed physician; a list of all persons associated with the operation of the provider and copies of driver’s license or other government identification; a various other documents. The annual registration fee is $460.
How to Apply
Bring with you:
- A signed, completed Personal Injury Protection Medical Provider Application.
- A copy of a FL driver’s license or government issued I.D. for each owner and all other persons identified in the application
- A copy of each active State of Florida license for persons listed on the application including:
- Medicine pursuant to Chapter 458, F.S.
- Osteopathic Medicine pursuant to Chapter 459, F.S.
- Chiropractic Medicine pursuant to Chapter 460, F.S.
- Dentistry pursuant to Chapter 466, F.S.
- Physical Therapy pursuant to Chapter 486, F.S.
- Acupuncture pursuant to Chapter 457, F.S.
- Massage Therapy pursuant to Chapter 480
- If applicable, a copy of the Health Care Clinic License or Exemption issued by the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration or Florida Department of Health.
- A copy of a current valid Miami-Dade County local business tax receipt.
- A copy of a current valid local Municipal business tax receipt (unless located in Unincorporated Miami-Dade County).
- A copy of the Certificate of Occupancy issued by Miami-Dade County, or Municipality in which the provider is located.
- A floor plan of the provider showing all areas, including the location of controlled substances.
- A sworn and notarized Owner Affidavit for each owner (part of the application).
- A sworn and notarized Designated Physician Affidavit (form attached to the application).
- Check or money order for the registration fee in the amount of $460.00, payable to Miami-Dade County.
Completed application package and payment must be submitted by mail or in person to:
DEPARTMENT OF REGULATORY AND ECONOMIC RESOURCES
ATTN. CONSUMER PROTECTION
601 NW 1ST COURT
MIAMI FL 33136
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.