Private School Buses
Below is information to assist you in the inspection of vehicle used to transport children. It is based on the requirements found in Chapter 30, Sections 30-370.1 through 30-372.1 of the Code of Miami-Dade County.
Decorative/advertising decals or complete wrapping of one or more windows are prohibited on vehicles regulated under the various for-hire and other transportation related ordinances under its purview is prohibited.
Vehicle Registration Note: Vehicles with temporary (paper) tags will be issued a 3-month inspection decal after which time the vehicle must return to provide updated registration/tag information. At that time, a new inspection decal will be issued for the balance of the inspection period. There is no cost for the follow-up inspection.
No certificate of transportation is required to provide private school bus transportation service in Miami-Dade County. All that is required is that the vehicle must be registered, inspected for safety and display a valid inspection certificate issued by the department’s Vehicle Inspection Station.
Certificate of Insurance with minimum limits of liability of $10,000 for bodily injury to any one pupil and $5,000 multiplied by the rated seating capacity of the vehicle or $100,000 whichever is greater. Binders are only acceptable for 30 days from the date issued.
The certificate must include the following:
- Policy number
- Effective and expiration dates
- A description (year, model and VIN#) of the vehicle(s) covered under the policy
- Miami-Dade For-Hire Transportation, 140 West Flagler Street, #904, Miami, Florida 33130 must be listed as a certificate holder. The certificate of insurance must provided for 30 days notice of any material change or cancellation of the policy.
One first aid kit that includes the following items:
- 1-inch adhesive bandages (2 pkgs.)
- 40-inch triangular bandage with two safety pins (one)
- 4”x 4”sterile gauze pads (12 pads)
- 2-inch rolled curlex bandage six feet in length (2 rolls)
- 1-inch roll adhesive tape 2 ½ yards in length (one)
- Eye dressing packets (2 pkgs.)
One 2.5 lb. ABC rated fire extinguisher charged and certified by proper authorities. Black and yellow buses with seating capacity greater than 24 passengers require a 5 Lb. ABC rated fire extinguisher.
Name and phone number of the entity providing the transportation on left and right side of the vehicle.
A sign with the words “Caution Transporting Children”, in letters large enough to be seen from a reasonable distance, on the rear of the bus. (Not required on black and yellow buses).
Inspection Fees: $70 for the initial inspection and must arrive prior to 1PM. $38 for renewal inspections. $20 additional charge for re-inspection for non-safety deficiencies. $35 charge for re-inspection of safety related deficiencies. Checks – Money Orders – Master Card – Visa
Station Address: 2615 NW 10th Avenue, Miami
Hours of Operation – 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m., Tuesday – Saturday. Closed Holidays
Phone: 305-638-6051 Fax: 305-638-6097
How to Apply
You must obtain valid inspection decal from the Vehicle Inspection Station prior to starting operations. Take your vehicle to the For-Hire Inspection Station with a current Florida Vehicle Registration, Certificate of Liability Insurance and applicable inspection fee.
Cash will not be accepted. Fees can be paid by check, money order or cashier’s check made payable to the "Board of County Commissioners". If renewing in person, the renewal fee can be paid by credit card (MasterCard or Visa).
Inspections for “Black and Yellow” buses are valid for one year. All other private school bus inspections are valid for six (6) months.
Additional Business Requirements
- You will need an Occupational License issued by Miami-Dade County Business Licensing.
- You will need a Chauffeur’s Registration issued by Miami-Dade For-Hire Transportation.
- Effective December 1, 2012, you may also need a Child Alarm System.
- Drivers of these vehicles must each have a valid chauffeur registration.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.