Last Visited »

Home Improvements Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find assistance for home improvements?

A partnership between Community Action Agency (CAA) and the Office of Community and Economic Development (OCED) provides for repairs and upgrades in owner occupied low to moderate income single-family homes primarily geared to addressing health and safety issues, code violations; and includes roof repairs, plumbing and electrical as well as associated repairs and exterior painting.

Miami-Dade County Community Action Agency administers various loan programs for home improvements. The Miami-Dade County Community Action agency also administers a Single Family Home Rehabilitation Program which provides oversight as Construction Manager for those applicants who have received a house rehabilitation loan through Miami-Dade County Housing Agency.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development does not give cash assistance for home repairs; however, they do offer various home improvement loan programs for specific purposes, including making essential home repairs and assistance programs for energy efficiency improvements.

How can I receive help to protect my home from natural disasters?

Miami-Dade County Community Action Agency (CAA) operates three storm shutter/hazard mitigation programs.  The Project Residential Shuttering Program protects the houses of Senior Citizens 65 or older against storms through aluminum storm shutters installations. The Residential Construction Mitigation Program provides residential structural inspections to low to moderate income households to determine what retrofit measures are needed to strengthen the home and lessen the damages from high windstorms. The Shutter Program for the Disabled provides for the installation of accordion style or other user friendly shuttering systems.

To find similar programs for counties outside of Miami-Dade, visit the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity website.

Where can I find assistance for payment of bills in an emergency?

Community Action Agency utilizes Emergency Food and Shelter Assistance (EFSA) to assist individuals and families in need of EMERGENCY assistance with issues regarding payment of utility bills, rent and mortgage payments and also provides temporary shelter and food.

Shelter locations include:

  • Liberty City Community Enrichment Center  6100 NW 7th Avenue  305-756-2830
  • Goulds Community Enrichment Center  21300 SW 122 Avenue  305-233-2121
  • Accion Community Enrichment Center  858 West Flagler Street  305-547-7713

The Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) is coordinated through the Community Action Agency's Self Help Division as part of their emergency assistance programs.  The program provides assistance to low-income individuals and families who are experiencing difficulty in paying for utilities such as electricity and gas.

Where can I find programs to help me reduce my energy consumption?

Community Action Agency provides home weatherization assistance, through a partnership with the U.S. Department of Energy and the Florida Department of Community Affairs. The program is designed to reduce energy consumption in the home.

The Solar Water Heater Program provides for the installation of solar water heating systems in low income households.  One of the most cost-effective ways to include renewable technologies into a building is by incorporating solar hot water.

Back to Top Page Last Edited: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:18:36 PM
  • Facebook Twitter YouTube RSS
  • Print Print Email this page Email Page   | Bookmark and Share
  • Minimize Tools

You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.