Health insurance coverage can protect you and your family from the devastating financial effects of unexpected health problems or catastrophic illness.
Health Insurance Marketplace in Florida
The Office of Countywide Healthcare Planning is here to assist Miami-Dade County residents who may not know which health program or service best fits their needs.
Visit our healthcare website for information about health care reform and how the health insurance marketplace in Florida works.
Affordable Care Act
Starting next year, the Affordable Care Act guarantees that all Americans – regardless of their health status or pre-existing conditions – will finally have access to quality, affordable coverage.
People will be able to apply for affordable health insurance coverage choices in Health Insurance Marketplaces when open enrollment begins on October 1. The Health Insurance Marketplace will offer a choice of quality, affordable health plans. Coverage begins on January 1, 2014.
Visit www.healthcare.gov to learn more about the Marketplace.
Thank you for your interest in Miami-Dade Blue. The unparalleled three year Miami-Dade County partnership with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida led to more than 11,000 residents becoming insured.
Miami-Dade County's partnership with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida will conclude on December 31, 2012. However, the County’s Health Insurance Assistance program will continue to be offered to those enrolled in Miami-Dade Blue by this date. We encourage you to visit this webpage in the upcoming months for our new program update.
Health Insurance Assistance and Coverage Programs
- For children from birth through age 18, you can apply to Florida KidCare and its Healthy Kids program online or call 1-888-540-5437.
- For more information on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act including how to apply for coverage starting in 2014 offered through an Exchange – a marketplace where consumers can choose a private health insurance plan that fits their health needs.
- For more information on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act in Florida, visit the Florida Senate's website.
- For health information from the Federal government including quick guides to healthy living, personalized health advice, and tips and tools for consumers, visit the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services website.
- For Florida health information including health plan comparisons, visit the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration website.
Community Health Care Centers and Clinics
For immediate health care, local Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) and Jackson Health System/PHT primary care centers offer sliding (reduced) fees based on income for episodic care.
Florida Consumer Helpline and Guide
- Florida's Consumer Services Helpline can assist with insurance information. Call 1-877-MY-FL-CFO (1-877-693-5236).
- The State of Florida Health Insurance Guide provides helpful about choosing health insurance.
Florida Consumer Helpline
Call 1-877-MY-FL-CFO. Florida's Consumer Services Helpline can assist with insurance information.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.