Miami-Dade County property owners to receive 2017 Notice of Proposed Property Taxes (TRIM) in the mail
Miami-Dade County, FL— Property Appraiser Pedro J. Garcia is mailing the Notice of Proposed Property Taxes (TRIM Notice) to Miami-Dade property owners on August 24, 2017. Included in the TRIM Notice is a guide that explains how proposed taxes are calculated and an Informal Assessment Review Form to be completed by those property owners who believe their property may have been over assessed. The Assessment Review process helps property owners address their concerns with regards to value, and allows our office to resolve the concerns more efficiently than appealing through the Value Adjustment Board (VAB), which can be a longer process. Conveniently, the TRIM Notice is also available online at www.miamidade.gov/pa.
The Notice has important information about each individual property, including:
- The property’s assessed value as of January 1, 2017
- Any exemptions applied to the property
- The proposed taxes calculated based on the taxing authorities’ proposed millage rates
- The dates, times, and venues of budget hearings for each of the taxing authorities
Also included with the TRIM Notice is a letter from Property Appraiser Garcia that lists four upcoming outreach events, which provide property owners with the opportunity to personally meet with the Property Appraiser and his staff. Property owners should bring any documents they believe will support an assessment reduction, such as comparable sales, appraisals, photographs of the property and insurance claim paperwork.
The dates and locations of the outreach events are as follows:
- Aug. 31, 2017 at 5:30 pm, South Dade Regional Library, 10750 SW 211 St, Cutler Bay, FL 33189
- Sept. 5, 2017 at 5:30 pm, West Dade Regional Library, 9445 SW 24 Street, Miami, FL 33165
- Sept. 12, 2017 at 5:30 pm, Milander Center, 4800 Palm Ave, Hialeah, FL 33012
- Sept. 18, 2017 at 5:30 pm, North Dade Regional Library, 2455 NW 183 St, Miami Gardens, FL 33056
Property Appraiser Garcia issued a statement saying, “I want to make sure property owners understand their TRIM Notice. Therefore, my staff and I will be out in the community throughout the month of September to assist them with any questions or concerns they may have prior to receiving their Tax Bill, which is usually mailed by November 1st.”
Property owners can also visit our office in Downtown Miami (111 NW 1st Street, 8th Floor) or the South Dade Government Center (10710 SW 211th Street, 2nd Floor), Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. The deadline for filing an appeal with the Value Adjustment Board this year is Monday, September 18th,