As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Twelve women leaders were honored for their achievements in their respective fields, during the 27th Annual In the Company of Women Awards Ceremony, presented by Macy’s.
Videos showcasing each winner’s career, inspiration and connection to parks and open spaces were played right before each lady was presented her award.
- Mayor’s Pioneer Award — Sheila Duffy-Lehrman, Tropic Survival Advertising & Marketing
- Community Spirit - Cassandra Theramene, Scholars Today, Leaders of Tomorrow, Inc
- Posthumous Award – Anne Mergen, Editorial Cartoonist
- Arts & Entertainment - Kalyn Chapman James, Art Loft and the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts
- Business & Economics — Antoinette Patterson, One World Learning Center
- Communications & Literature — n/a
- Education & Research — Malou C. Harrison, Miami Dade College, North Campus
- Government & Law (Elected) — Honorable Bertila Soto, Chief Judge, Eleventh Judicial Circuit Court
- Government & Law (Non-Elected) — Iraida R. Mendez-Cartaya, Miami-Dade County Public Schools
- Health & Human Services — Aileen M. Marty, M.D., FACP, Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine, Florida International University
- Science & Technology — n/a
- Sports & Athletics — Dr. Janice Bell, St. Thomas University
It is made possible with the support of generous sponsors including: Macy’s, AARP, Miami Marlins, Parsons Brinkerhoff, Inc., Totalbank, University of Miami, AT&T, Trish and Dan Bell, Co-Chairs of the Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science, Enterprise Holdings, Miami Downtown Development Authority, Miami-Dade Aviation Department, Miami-Dade County Commission Chairwoman Rebeca Sosa, Miami-Dade Commissioner, District 2 Barbara J. Jordan, Miami-Dade Commissioner, District 4 Sally A. Heyman, Miami-Dade County Commission Vice Chairwoman Lynda Bell, United Way of Miami-Dade, Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts of Miami-Dade County, League of Women Voters of Miami-Dade County, and CH Creations.
In the Company of Women was created in 1989 as a way to unite the diverse population of Miami-Dade County by recognizing outstanding women who have impacted our community in a positive way. Winners are from many professions including government and politics, law, health, education, the arts, sports, business, journalism and the social sciences.
This popular and prestigious event serves as part of Women's History Month, observed annually in March. The event has received recognition from the National Association of Counties and the Southern Region of the U.S. Civil Rights Commission.
In the Company of Women is part of the programming presented by Miami-Dade Parks' Women's Park. Officially dedicated in 1992, The Women's Park honors all women in Miami-Dade County in recognition of their diverse contributions to improving our community's quality of life. In 2000, the Roxcy O'Neal Bolton Women's History Gallery was built to serve as a resource center.
One of the Park's seminal programs is the Girls Empowerment and Mentoring (G.E.M.) Summer Camp Program. Proceeds from In the Company of Women provide support to more than 50 girls between the ages of 11 to 16 registered annually in the G.E.M. Program with projects, workshops and mentoring opportunities to build self-esteem, strengthen their connection to the community, and provide quality arts experiences.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.