Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Portal will be undergoing maintenance starting at 11 p.m. Saturday, May 3 and for all of Sunday, May 4. Intermittent outages may be experienced. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Thank you for your patience as we improve our online services.
Active Adults 55+ Program
Miami-Dade County Parks' Active Adults 55+ program kicked-off in September 2013, as a local effort to encourage older adults to improve their health and well-being by consistently staying physically and mentally active. The program engages the participation of the HFSF, local health care providers and government/social service in presenting health and wellness fairs at its various Active Adults 55+ program hubs on a monthly basis.
The fairs provide a variety of healthy-aging resource materials, free health screenings, exercise demonstrations and the opportunity to register for Miami-Dade County Parks' Active Adults 55+ recreational programming opportunities.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommends that older adults exercise at least 2 1/2 hours weekly. Regular exercise has been found to decrease the risk of developing chronic diseases, such as Type 2 Diabetes, osteoporosis and heart disease.
- For more information call 786-372-9701.
Enhance Fitness Classes
Enhance Fitness exercise classes are designed to help older adults like you - not athletes - interested in improving their life through exercise. Classes combine three key components of fitness: Strength-Training, Flexibility and Cardio-Conditioning.
Each exercise was developed by experts in the field of physical therapy, in conjunction with agencies serving older adults. The hour-long class (held three times a week) is led by an energetic, certified instructor. Expect a casual atmosphere, individual attention and a fun and lively workout at a pace that works for you.
- Arcola Lakes Park, 1301 NW 83 Street, Miami – 305-836-5095
- Continental Park, 10000 SW 82 Avenue, Miami – 305-274-9666
- Country Village Park, 6550 NW 188 Terrace, Miami – 305-622-2594
- Deerwood Bonita Lakes, 14445 SW 122 Avenue, Miami – 305-234-1660
- Goulds Park, 11350 SW 216 Street, Miami – 305-255-2399
- Gwen Cherry Park, 7090 NW 22 Avenue, Miami – 305-694-4889
- North Trail Park, 780 NW 127 Avenue, Miami – 305-207-2420
- South Dade Park, 28151 SW 164 Avenue, Miami – 305-247-9453
- Westwind Lakes Park, 6805 SW 152 Avenue, Miami – 305-388-4771
- Tropical Park, 7900 SW 40th Street, Miami, 305-509-0867.
Tai Chi Classes
The schedule and locations are as follows:
- Monday - 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM - Continental Park Community Center
- Tuesday & Thursday - 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM - Deerwood Bonita Lakes Park Community Center
- Monday & Wednesday - 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM - Deerwood Bonita Lakes Park Community Center
Trim & Fit Provided by Baptist Health South Florida
- Monday - 9:30 AM - 10:30 AM - Deerwood Bonita Lakes Park Community Center
Stretch & Relaxation by Baptist Health South Florida
- Friday - 10:30 AM - 11:30 AM - Deerwood Bonita Lakes Park Community Center
All Baptist Health South Florida participants must call 786-467-5680 to register. Some classes have a waiting list.
Registration for Active Older Adults Programs at Miami Dade Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Recreation Hubs is a pre-requisite for participation.
These evidence-based self-management workshops were developed by healthy aging researchers at Stanford University. Classes are taught by trained instructors provided by the Alliance for Aging.
''Living Healthy: Chronic Disease and Diabetes''
A six-week self-management workshop designed for individuals living with chronic disease. The group meets for two hours each week. Discussions include how to manage blood glucose (sugar) better, ways to deal with symptoms of diabetes, proper medication use and healthy eating. Classes are taught in both English and Spanish.
''Living Healthy: Matter of Balance''
An eight-week self-management workshop designed to reduce fear of falling and increase activity levels. The group meets for two hours each week.
More Activities to Enjoy!
Miami-Dade County Parks' Active Adults 55+ activities and classes will vary at each program hub. Some locations may also offer sewing, ceramics, adaptive aquatics, yoga, tennis, Snag Golf and visits to local attractions like Zoo Miami, Fruit & Spice Park and the Deering Estate at Cutler.Back to Top Page Last Edited: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:56:57 PM
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.