At this time, Miami-Dade County is monitoring Hurricane Matthew.
Please visit our Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Active Older Adults Program
The Active Older Adults program is for adults over 55 years of age. It is an effort to encourage older adults to improve their health and well-being by consistently staying physically and mentally active.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommends that older adults exercise at least 2 ½ hours weekly. Regular exercise has been found to decrease the risk of developing chronic diseases, such as Type 2 Diabetes, osteoporosis and heart disease.
For more information regarding Active Older Adults programs call 786-372-9701.
Arthritis Intervention Program
Our Arthritis Intervention Program is for those who are suffering with arthritis, related rheumatic diseases or musculoskeletal conditions. Whether your medical provider referred you, you participate in the Active Older Adult program, or you just want to feel better, you can ease into a healthy lifestyle with proven benefits through this program.
The program can help:
- Reduce pain and stiffness
- Restore or maintain joint range of motion
- Maintain or increase muscle strength
- Improve balance and coordination
- Decrease fatigue and increase endurance
- Improve overall perceived health status
There are three classes available:
- Walk With Ease - Walking group; meets three times a week, for six weeks. Evaluations have shown that the class increases balance, strength and walking pace, as well as reduces pain
- Arthritis Foundation Aquatic Program - Water exercise class; meets twice a week, for six weeks. Includes joint range of motion, stretching, breathing and light aerobic activities in the water
- Active Living Every Day - Personalized healthy-lifestyle planning; meets once per week, for 12 weeks. You'll find ways to be active every day
Registration is required. Call Allan Tavss, Active Older Adults program coordinator and advocate, at 786-372-9701.
Active older adults make healthy choices with Walgreens
Healthy Choices Clinics by Walgreens is a collaboration between Miami-Dade Parks Recreation and Open Spaces and Walgreens which provides local clinics where Active Older Adults, 55 and over, can receive Blood Pressure Screenings and flu, pneumonia and tetanus shots.
The Healthy Choices Clinics are presented on select days at one of the 10 Active Older Adults Recreation Hubs. A registered pharmacist is available to answer any questions regarding medications. The Healthy Choices Clinics provide the opportunity to provide medical observation in a familiar and convenient location. For additional information and schedule of clinics, please call 786-372-9701 or email email@example.com.
Walk4Life Walking Program
Walk4Life is a life-long walking program with celebratory recognition certificates and other incentives provided upon completion of mileage goals. All of the 10 recreation hubs have walking paths with posted mileage. Participants log their mileage individually in log books located at the Recreation Hubs.
All participants in the Walk4Life program receive a special wristband designating their participation. Walkers can walk on their own or join others as they walk in a safe environment.
Cardio Fit Plus
Cardio Fit Plus is a program of exercise classes designed to help active older adults like you – not athletes – interested in improving their life through exercise.
Classes combine three key components of fitness: Strength-Training, Flexibility, and Cardio-Conditioning and are taught by certified instructors. Each class is a full hour, held indoors 3 times per week, given in a fun environment making it the fitness choice for Active Older Adults.
Cardio Fit Plus is everything that health professionals say is needed by Active Older Adults to maintain health and function as they age. Please call the park most convenient to your location for the Cardio Fit Plus schedule.
- Arcola Lakes Senior Center, 8401 NW 14th Avenue, Miami, FL 33147 - 305-694-2728
- Continental Park, 10000 SW 82 Avenue, Miami, FL 33156 - 305-274-9666
- Deerwood Bonita Lakes, 14445 SW 122 Avenue, Miami, FL - 305-234-1660
- Goulds Park, 11350 SW 216 Street, Miami, FL - 305-255-2399
- Gwen Cherry Park, 7090 NW 22 Avenue, Miami, FL - 305-694-4889
- South Dade Park, 28151 SW 164 Avenue, Miami, FL - 305-247-9453
- Westwind Lakes Park, 6805 SW 152 Avenue, Miami, FL - 305-388-4771
Tai Chi Classes
Provided by Baptist Health South Florida
- Monday – 11:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m. at Continental Park Community Center
- Tuesday & Thursday – 9 – 10 a.m. at Deerwood Bonita Lakes
- Monday & Wednesday – 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. at Deerwood Bonita Lakes
Provided by Fitness and Wellness Works
- Wednesday – 10:45 – 11:45 a.m. at Westwind Lakes Park
- Wednesday – 12:30 – 1:30 p.m. at Arcola Lakes Senior Center
Trim & Fit Provided by Baptist Health South Florida
- Monday - 9:30 - 10:30 a.m. at Deerwood Bonita Lakes
Stretch & Relaxation by Baptist Health South Florida
- Friday - 10:30 - 11:30 a.m. at Deerwood Bonita Lakes
All Baptist Health South Florida participants must call 786-467-5680 to register. Some classes have a waiting list.
Registration for Active Older Adults Programs at Miami-Dade Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Recreation Hubs is a pre-requisite for participation.
Zumba Gold Classes
Provided by Fitness and Wellness Works
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.