(Miami-Dade County, FL) -- Even in these tough economic times, you can still help your child make the most out of the Winter School Recess and not break the bank, with affordable, fun and adventure-filled activities being offered at Miami-Dade County Parks' Winter Break Camps. Registration starts Monday, November 7, 2011. Camps will be held December 19, 2011 through January 2, 2012, Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., with early drop-off available at 7:30 a.m. and late pick-up until 6:00 p.m.
General Camp programs will thrill and challenge youngsters with a variety of activities from fitness, sports, and arts and crafts to games and exciting field trips. There are also Specialized Camps, which focus on a specific interest or need, like the nature-based EcoAdventuresTM Camps and the Deering Estate's Discovery Camp; the African Heritage Cultural Arts Center's Arts, Fitness and Wellness Camp; the Country Club of Miami's Junior Golf Camp; and camp programs for children with disabilities.
EcoAdventuresTM Camps at AD Barnes Park, Arch Creek Park and Tropical Park provide unique opportunities for children, ages 6-15, to explore the wonders of our South Florida ecosystem with outdoor activities from trail hikes and wildlife encounters, to canoeing and fishing excursions, participants will not only learn about their environment and connect with nature, but will get plenty of exercise.
Learn the essential skills of surviving in the wilderness at the Deering Estate at Cutler's "Wilderness Survival" Winter Camp! Children, ages 6-15, will explore the Estate's natural areas and learn about South Florida's flora and fauna. The action-packed adventure includes wildlife encounters, biking, and more! Two five-day sessions are available.
At the African Heritage Cultural Arts Center's Arts, Fitness and Wellness Camp, children ages 6-17 will receive instruction in the various arts disciplines by experienced arts professionals with classes in ink washing, silk-screening, drama, and modeling. They will also learn how to stay fit with martial arts, dance, theater, and yoga.
Junior Golf Camp at the Country Club of Miami offers children ages 7-16 the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of golf. The class is taught by resident instructor Larry Levow, who has been featured on the Golf Channel and has taught golfers of all levels, even some of the world's top PGA Tour players. Topics to be covered will include putting, short games, full swing, bunkers, rules, and etiquette.
The Miami-Dade Parks Disability Services program, in conjunction with The Children's Trust, provides a fun-filled daytime camp for people with disabilities ages 6-21. Participants will be joined by highly experienced and certified staff for adaptive sports, arts and crafts, and field trips. This program is offered at Greynolds Park, Coral Estates Park, Tamiami Park, Westwind Lakes Park, Camp Matecumbe, and Goulds Park.
Parents may register their child by visiting the specific Miami-Dade County Park where they wish their child to attend. Some parks offer online registration at Miami-Dade Parks, where the entire list of camp sites is also found. The public may also dial 3-1-1 for the Miami-Dade County Information Hotline. Prices for camps vary.
About Miami-Dade Parks:
Nationally accredited, a three-time winner of the NRPA National Gold Medal Award and winner of the 2009 Florida Governor's Sterling Award for excellence in management and operations, Miami-Dade Parks is the third largest county park system in the United States, consisting of 263 parks and more than 12,848 acres of land. It is one of the most unique park and recreation systems in the world. Made up of more than just playgrounds and athletic fields, it also comprises out-of-school, sports-development, and summer-camp programs; programs for seniors and people with disabilities; educational nature centers and nature preserves; environmental restoration efforts; arts and culture programs and events; the renowned Zoo Miami and the Deering Estate at Cutler; the Crandon Tennis Center, home of the Sony Ericsson Open; golf courses; beaches; marinas; campgrounds; pools; and more.
*Note: Sites designated with (*) are sponsored by The Children's Trust, a dedicated source of revenue established by voter referendum to improve the lives of children and families in Miami-Dade County. Sites designated with (**) offer online registration.
MIAMI-DADE COUNTY PARKS GENERAL PROGRAM CAMPS
The cost for these camps is $40 - $90/week, depending on the program. Financial assistance is available to those who qualify.
- *Cinco de Mayo Park, 19350 SW 384 St., 305-242-7930
- **Deerwood Bonita Lakes Park, 14445 SW 122 Ave., 305-235-2053
- Devon Aire Park, 10411 SW 122 Ave., 305-270-4951
- **Eureka Villas Park, 14301 SW 180 St., 305-254-5856
- **Goulds Park, 11350 SW 216 St., 305-255-2399
- **Hammocks Community Park, 9885 Hammocks Blvd., 305-380-6917
- *Leisure Lake Park, 29305 Illinois Rd., 305-248-1527
- Modello Park, 28450 SW 152 Ave., 305-247-1553
- *Naranja Park, 14150 SW 264 St., 305-258-1945
- **Sgt. Joseph Delancy Park, 14450 Boggs Dr., 305-235-4503
- **South Dade Park, 28151 SW 164 Ave., 305-247-9453;
- Southridge Park, 11250 SW 192 St., (786) 293-4549
- West Perrine Park, 10301 SW 170 Terr., 305-235-2053
- **Bird Lakes Park, 14365 SW 48 Lane, 305-270-1644
- **Continental Park, 10000 SW 82 Ave., 305-274-9666
- **North Trail Park, 780 NW 127 Ave., 305-207-2420
- Rockway Park, 9460 SW 27 Ave., 305-223-8769
- **Ron Ehmann Park, 10995 SW 97 Ave., 305-271-3853
- Ruben Dario Park, 9825 West Flagler St., 305-222-2194
- **Tropical Estates Park, 10201 SW 48 St., 305-226-5782
- **Westwind Lakes Park, 6805 SW 152 Ave., 305-388-4771
- Arcola Lakes Park, 1301 NW 83 St., 305-836-5095
- *Arcola Park, 1680 NW 87 St., 305-835-7987
- **Country Village Park, 6550 NW 188 Terr., 305-622-2594
- Gwen Cherry Park (NFL/YET Center), 7090 NW 22 Ave., 305-694-4889
- **Highland Oaks Park, 20300 NE 24 Ave., 305-932-2164
- Jefferson Reaves Sr. Park, 3090 NW 50 St., 305-635-2081
- Little River Park, 10525 NW 24 Ave., 305-694-5121
- *Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Park, 6100 NW 32 Ct., 305-633-2044
- North Glade Park, 17355 NW 52 Ave., 305-621-2461
- **Oak Grove Park 690 NE 159 St., 305-944-8670
MIAMI-DADE COUNTY PARKS SPECIALIZED CAMPS
EcoAdventuresTM Camps - AD Barnes Park, Arch Creek Park and Tropical Park:
- Nature Detectives (Ages 6-8) / Nature Explorers (Ages 9-14) AD Barnes Park, Sense of Wonder Nature Center, 3401 SW 72 Ave., Miami, 305-365-3018. Camp hours are 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Early drop-off and late-pick up are available for an additional fee. The cost is $100/week, plus a one-time annual registration fee of $12.
- Camp Manatee (Ages 6-14) Arch Creek Park,1855 NE 135 St., Miami, 305-944-6111 /
305-948-2891. Camp hours are 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Early drop- off and late-pick up are available for an additional fee. The cost is $100/week, plus a one-time annual registration fee of $12.
- Fishing Camp (Ages 9-15) Tropical Park, 7900 SW 40 St., Miami, 305-255-4767/ 305-365-3018. Camp hours are 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Early drop-off and late-pick up are available for an additional fee. The cost is $125/week, plus a one-time annual registration fee of $12.
- "Wilderness Survival" Winter Camp (Ages 6-15) Deering Estate at Cutler, 16701 SW 72 Ave., Miami, 305-235- 1668, Ext. 233. Camp hours are from 9:00 a.m. -4:30 p.m. The cost is $188/five-day session, plus a one-time annual registration fee of $12. Early drop-off and late-pick up are available for an additional fee.
About the Deering Estate at Cutler:
The Deering Estate at Cutler is a 444-acre natural and archeological preserve and historic site listed on the National Register of Historic Places and serves as a center for education, culture and recreation. For more information on the Deering Estate's educational and cultural programs, please visit Deering Estate.
- Arts, Fitness & Wellness Camp (Ages 6-17) African Heritage Cultural Arts Center, 2166 NW 62 St., Miami, 305-638-6771. The camp will take place December 20-30 and January 2. The cost is $45/week. Early drop-off and late pick-up is available.
- Junior Golf Camp (Ages 7-16) Country Club of Miami, 6801 NW 168 St., Miami, 305-829-8456, Ext. 249. Two sessions: Session 1, December 20-23 and Session 2, December 27-30. Full-day sessions are 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., and half-day sessions are 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. The cost is $225/full-day session and $145/half-day session, includes instruction, practice balls and short course play. Students must provide their own lunch.
- Miami-Dade Parks Disability Services Camps for People with Disabilities (Ages 6-21):
- *Camp Matecumbe, 13841 SW 120 St., Miami, 305-752-4966
- *Coral Estates Park, 1405 SW 97 Ave., Miami, 305-226-1622
- *Goulds Park, 21805 SW 114 Ave., Miami, 305-234-1673
- *Greynolds Park,18601 NE 22 Ave, Miami, 305-945-3425
- *Tamiami Park, 11201 SW 24 St., Miami, 305-222-2128
- *Westwind Lakes Park, 6805 SW 152 Ave., Miami, 305-380-9106
*Note: These parks offering specialized programs for children with disabilities are sponsored by The Children's Trust, a dedicated source of revenue established by voter referendum to improve the lives of children and families in Miami-Dade County.
To request material in accessible format, information on access for persons with disabilities, or sign language interpreter services (7 days in advance), call 305-365-6706.