(Miami-Dade County, FL) -- Parents, the Spring Break school recess is almost here. Get the kids away from the TV and game systems and treat them to fresh air, awesome outdoor activities and the opportunity to make new friends and memorable experiences that will last a lifetime, by enrolling them in one of these exciting Spring Break Camps being offered by the Miami-Dade Park and Recreation Department (MDPR) at its parks around the County from March 14-18, 2011. Camps will be open from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and offer an early drop-off at 7:30 a.m. and a late pick-up until 6:00 p.m.
MDPR Spring Break Camps are affordable and are guaranteed to thrill and challenge your child. The cost for General Camps ranges from $40-$90/week, depending on the program. Financial assistance is available to those who qualify. General Camps are not only fun, but fully-supervised, offering parents peace of mind, while their child enjoys a full recreational schedule, with everything from fitness and sports and arts & crafts, to nature encounters, games and field trips.
There are also Specialized Camps which focus on a specific interest or need--from camps for nature and wildlife-lovers like the Bank of America Zoofari Camp at ZooMiami, Spring Camp at the Deering Estate at Cutler, and EcoAdventuresTM Nature Adventure Spring Camps to Visual and Performing Arts Camps offered at the African Heritage Cultural Arts Center (AHCAC) and the Raices (Roots) Cultural Arts Center (Raices)-focusing on Hispanic Heritage, Spring Break Golf Camp for Juniors at the Country Club of Miami and camps for children with disabilities. Specialized Camps are competitively priced, ranging from $45-$190 for the week. Camps for children with disabilities are FREE.
The Bank of America Zoofari Spring Camp at ZooMiami presents fun, recreational activities for kids ages 4-10, based on the Animal Sciences. They'll see animal presentations and learn about wildlife conservation, and much more! The cost is $190 for non-members and $170 for members. Pre-registration is required. For details, call the Zoological Society of Florida at 305-255-5551.
Spring Camp at the Deering Estate at Cutler invites children, ages 6-15, to explore the wonderful world of the Animal Kingdom through hands-on activities and outdoor treks. It's action-packed with animal encounters, biking, hiking, bird-watching, and more! Campers will learn about different species and their importance.
EcoAdventuresTM Nature Adventure Spring Camps are offered at four MDPR locations: AD Barnes Park, Arch Creek Park, Bill Sadowski Park and Matheson Hammock. Participants, ages 6-14 will get plenty of exercise with outdoor excursions that include trail hikes, wildlife encounters, canoeing and fishing.
MDPR's Visual & Performing Arts Camps have experienced arts professionals to help your child develop his/her creative side in the various arts disciplines. At the AHCAC's Arts, Fitness and Wellness Spring Camp, children ages 6-17 will learn the art of ink washing, silk-screening, drama, and modeling, and how to stay fit and trim with martial arts, dance, theater and yoga. At the Raices Spring Camp--'Green Raices,' budding artists ages 6-14 will learn innovative ways to conserve our planet's resources by participating in 'green' arts activities that make use of recycled materials. As a camp finale, the AHCAC and Raices will each host a Spring Arts Showcase so that family and friends can see their child's artwork and performances.
At the Country Club of Miami's Spring Break Golf Camp for Juniors, kids ages 7-16 will learn the fundamentals of golf. Topics include putting, short games, full swing, bunkers, rules, and etiquette. Resident instructor and golf pro Larry Levow, has been featured on the Golf Channel and has taught golfers of all levels, even some of the world's top PGA Tour players.
MDPR's Disability Services, in conjunction with the Children's Trust, provides FREE fun-filled daytime camps for both children and adults with disabilities, ages 6-21. Participants will be joined by highly experienced and certified staff for adaptive sports, arts and crafts, and field trips. This program is offered at Greynolds Park, Coral Estates Park, Tamiami Park, Westwind Lakes Park, Camp Matecumbe, Goulds Park, and Oak Grove Park.
MDPR Spring Break Camps are funded in part by The Children's Trust, which is a dedicated source of revenue established by voter referendum to improve the lives of children and families in Miami-Dade County.
To register your child for a MDPR Spring Camp, please contact the participating parks as listed below, visit www.miamidade.gov/parks, or dial 3-1-1 for the Miami-Dade County Information Hotline.
GENERAL CAMPS (Sites designated with (*) are sponsored by The Children's Trust):
- Cinco de Mayo Park, 19350 SW 384 St., (305) 242-7930 *
- Colonial Drive Park, 10750 SW 156 Terr., (305) 233-3045
- Deerwood Bonita Lakes Park, 14445 SW 122 Avenue, (305) 235-2053
- Eureka Park, 18320 SW 119 Ave., (305) 235-2151
- Eureka Villas Park, 14301 SW 180 St., (305) 254-5856
- Goulds Park, 11350 S.W. 216 St., (305) 255-2399
- Hammocks Community Park, 9885 Hammocks Blvd., (305) 380-6917
- Leisure Lakes Park, 29305 Illinois Rd., (305) 248-1527*
- Modello Park, 28450 SW 152 Ave., (305) 247-1553
- Naranja Park, 14150 SW 264 St., (305) 258-1945*
- Sgt. Joseph Delancy Park, 14450 Boggs Drive, (305)-235-4503
- South Dade Park, 28151 SW 164 Ave., (305) 247-9453
- Southridge Park, 11250 SW 192 St., (786)-293-4549
- West Perrine Park, 17121 SW 104 Ave., (305) 235-2053
- Arcola Park, 1680 NW 87 St., (305) 835-7987*
- Arcola Lakes Park, 1301 NW 83 St., (305) 836-5095
- Country Village Park, 6550 NW 188 Terr., (305) 622-2594
- Gwen Cherry Park (Y.E.T.), 7090 NW 22 Ave., (305) 694-4889
- Highland Oaks Park, 20300 NE 24 Ave., (305) 932-2164
- Little River Park, 10525 NW 24 Ave., (305) 694-5121
- Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Park, 6000 NW 32 Ave., (305) 633-2044*
- North Glade Park, 17355 NW 52 Ave., (305) 621-2461
- Olinda Park, 2101 NW 51 St., (305) 633-4066
- Bird Lakes Park, 14365 SW 48 Ln., (305) 207-1644
- Continental Park, 10000 SW 82 Ave., (305) 274-9666
- McMillan Park, 6125 SW 133 Ave, (305) 382-6407
- North Trail Park, 780 NW 127 Ave., (305) 207-2420
- Rockway Park, 9460 SW 27 Drive, (305) 223-8769
- Ruben Dario Park, 9825 West Flagler St., (305) 222-2194
- Tamiami Park, 11201 SW 24 St., (786) 315-5295
- Tropical Park, 7900 SW 40 St., (305) 226-8315
- Tropical Estates Park, 10201 SW 48 St., (305) 226-5782
- Westwind Lakes Park, 6805 SW 152 Ave., (305) 388-4771
Bank of America Zoofari Spring Camp at ZooMiami
12400 SW 152 St. Ages: 4-10. Hours are: 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.; Early drop-off, 8:30 a.m. and late pick-up, 5:30 p.m. Cost: $170/week for members and $190/week for non-members. Pre-registration is required. For more information, call the Zoological Society of Florida at (305) 255-5551, or visit: www.zoomiami.com.
Deering Estate at Cutler Spring Camp
16701 SW 72 Ave.,(305) 235-1668, ext. 233. Ages 6-15. Camp hours are from 9:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Cost: $188/five-day session, plus a one-time annual registration fee of $12. Early drop-off and late-pick up are available for an additional fee of $10.00 per day for any combination of early drop-off and late pick-up. Early drop off is from 7:30 a.m.-9:00 a.m. / late pick up is from 4:30 pm to 6:00 pm.
The Deering Estate at Cutler is a 444-acre natural and archeological preserve and historic site listed on the National Register of Historic Places and serves as a center for education, culture and recreation. For more information on the Deering Estate's educational and cultural programs, please visit www.deeringestate.org.
EcoAdventuresTM Nature Adventure Spring Camps (the age varies for each camp):
- Sense of Wonder Nature Center at A.D. Barnes Park, 3401 SW 72 Ave., (305) 662-4124.
Nature Detectives, ages 6-8 years/ Nature Explorers, ages 9-14 years. Cost: $100/week, plus a one-time annual registration fee of $12.
- Camp Manatee at Arch Creek Park, 1855 NE 135th Street, North Miami, (305) 948-2891/ (305) 944-6111. Ages 6-14 years; Cost: $100/week, plus a one-time annual registration fee of $12.
- Bill Sadowski Park & Nature Center, 17555 SW 79 Ave., (305) 255-4767. Turtle Camp, ages 6-8/ Camp Cutler, ages 9-14.
Cost: $110/week, plus a one-time annual registration fee of $12.
- Camp on the Sea at Matheson Hammock Park, 9610 Old Cutler Rd., Coral Gables, (305) 365-3018.
Ages 12-17; Cost: $ 175/week, plus a one-time annual registration fee of $12.
EcoAdventuresTM, operated by MDPR offers naturalist-guided excursions that combine adventure, recreation, and natural history. Discover South Florida's natural treasures as you kayak, snorkel, bike or hike in this remarkable sub-tropical environment. Visitors can journey through magnificent mangroves teeming with the sights and sounds of native wildlife and explore the flora and fauna of the Everglades Pineland or trek through the Big Cypress Natural Preserve and marvel at 700 year old Cypress trees. Excursions are conducted under the guidelines of "Leave No Trace," a wilderness conservation ethic dedicated to teach ways of reducing the visitor's impact on natural areas and enhancing the visitor's experience. For more information please visit www.miamiecoadventures.com.
Performing Arts Camps:
- AHCAC's Fitness and Wellness Spring Camp, 6161 NW 22nd Ave., (305) 638-6771. Ages: 6-17. Cost: $45/week, plus a one-time annual registration fee of $12 (includes early drop-off at 7:30 a.m. / late pick-up until 6:00 p.m.).
- Raices' 'Green Raices' at Miller Drive Park, 5510 SW 94 Ct, (305) 271-0812. Ages: 6-14. Cost: $65/week, plus a one-time annual registration fee of $12 (includes early drop-off at 7:00 a.m. / late pick-up until 6:00 p.m.).
Spring Break Golf Camp for Juniors at the Country Club of Miami
NW 168th St., (305) 829-8456, Ext. 249. Ages 8-15. Full-day sessions are 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m., and half-day sessions are 9:00 a.m.-noon. The cost is $225/full-day session and $145/half-day session, includes instruction, practice balls and short course play. Students must provide their own lunch.
Disability Services' FREE Camps for Children with Disabilities:
- Oak Grove Park, 690 NE 159th St.
Maria Vazquez (305) 954-3425, email@example.com.
- Greynolds Park, 18601 NE 22nd Ave.
Kim Fowler (305) 954-3425, Kfowler@miamidade.gov.
- Coral Estates Park, 1405 SW 97th Ave.
Celia Leyva (305) 226-1622, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tamiami Park, 11201 SW 24th St.
Arlene Bouza-Jou (305) 222-2128, email@example.com.
- Westwind Lakes Park, 6805 SW 152 Ave.
Diana Bonet (305) 380-9106, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Camp Matecumbe, 13841 SW 120th St.
Belinda Phillips (305) 752-4966, email@example.com.
- Gould's Park, 21805 SW 114th Ave.
Jody Cox (305) 234-1673, firstname.lastname@example.org.