(Miami-Dade County, FL) -- The Miami-Dade Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Department and Miami-Dade County District 10 Commissioner, Senator Javier D. Souto, invite the community to join them at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, August 4, 2012, for the unveiling of a sign naming the Blue Lakes Park tennis courts as the "Dr. Juan Weiss Tennis Courts." The park's tennis courts are being named in honor of the late Dr. Juan Weiss, one of Cuba's premier tennis figures in the '40s and '50s.
"Dr. Weiss was one of the most popular Cuban players of his era and a source of admiration and inspiration to the Miami-Dade Cuban exile community, especially those park patrons who also came from Sancti Spiritus," said Commissioner Souto, who spearheaded the endeavor for the tennis court naming.
Weiss was born in the Cuban province Sancti Spiritus, immigrated to Miami in the early 1960s as part of the Cuban "Freedom Flight" to escape Fidel Castro's Communist regime. He was a resident of Miami for five years. Weiss passed away on October 29, 2001 at age 80.
Weiss represented Cuba in various regional, national and international tennis tournaments such as the Cuba International Invitation Tournament (1942), the US Open (1948), the Davis Cup (1949-1952 and 1955), the Good Neighbor Tournament (1952), VII Central American and Caribbean Olympic Games (1954). He was the men's single winner (1949-1952) and men's doubles winner (1949-1954 and 1957) at the Cuban National Championship. He won the U.S. National Senior Professional Doubles Championship in 1970 and played in all major tennis tournaments in the United States several times, including the National Open Championship in Forest Hills, New York.
Dr. Weiss dedicated his talents to training future tennis professionals in the United States. He was an honorary member of the New Orleans Lawn Tennis Clubs; a member of the United States Professional Tennis Association; a former tennis professional at Key Largo's Ocean Reef Club, the Tampa Yacht Club and The New Orleans Country Club; and a former tennis director at the Hollybrook Golf and Tennis Club in Pembroke Pines.
In addition to two-full-size tennis courts, the six acre Blue Lakes Park also contains a covered shelter with restrooms, one softball field, two basketball courts, a lighted walking path, a children's playground and a parking lot.
The tennis courts are free to the public and are available on a first come, first serve basis and are intended for recreation play. Facility rentals are available. For more information about the facilities at Blue Lakes Park call Tropical Estates Park at 305-226-5782, or visit Miami-Dade Parks.
About the Miami-Dade Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Department:
Nationally accredited, a three-time winner of the NRPA National Gold Medal Award and winner of the 2009 Florida Governor's Sterling Award for excellence in management and operations, Miami-Dade Parks is the third largest county park system in the United States, consisting of 260 parks and 12,825 acres of land. It is one of the most unique park and recreation systems in the world. Made up of more than just playgrounds and athletic fields, it also comprises out-of-school, sports-development, and summer-camp programs; programs for seniors and people with disabilities; educational nature centers and nature preserves; environmental restoration efforts; arts and culture programs and events; the renowned Zoo Miami and the Deering Estate at Cutler; the Crandon Tennis Center, home of the Sony Ericsson Open; golf courses; beaches; marinas; campgrounds; pools; and more. For information about Miami-Dade Parks call 3-1-1, or visit Miami-Dade Parks.
To request material in accessible format, information on access for persons with disabilities, or sign language interpreter services (7 days in advance), call 305-755-7848.