(Miami-Dade County, FL) -- The Deering Estate at Cutler will offer free admission to all guests on Saturday, August 18th and Saturday, September 15th from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. as part of their annual Fee-Free "P.L.A.Y." Days.
Guests can enjoy complimentary admission as well as hands on eco-art activities, science discovery programs, and historic house tours - all for free. The GroveHouse Artists Exhibit will also be on display through August 31st in the Richmond Cottage and Stone House. Spend the entire day and have a picnic on the main lawn facing Biscayne Bay.
The Fee-Free "P.L.A.Y." Days were created to honor the Deering Estate's partner organizations and the community. On Saturday, August 18th we will honor teachers and environmental educators and on Saturday, September 15th we will honor the Scouts. The entire public can enjoy a variety of programs and activities - all for free!
Programs and activities scheduled for Saturday, August 18th include:
We invite our guests to "P.L.A.Y." - Preservation, Learning, Adventure, Year-Round - and enjoy the many tours, educational programs, and special events that the Estate has to offer.
- Historic House Tours at 10:30 am, 12:00 pm, 1:30 pm and 3:00 pm.
- Yoga demonstration at 10:30 am on the main lawn with Zamanta Archibold who teaches Vinyasa Yoga at the Deering Estate.
- Rain Barrel & Water Conservation Workshop from 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm in the Pump House Classroom. The workshop is Free. If you wish to complete a rain barrel to take home, you must register and pay by August 16, 2012. The rain barrel cost is $40.00. Register Now! For more information please contact Barbara McAdam 305-248-3311 ext. 245. The Rain Barrel & Conservation Workshop is presented by the University of Florida's Institute of Food and Agriculture Sciences, Miami-Dade County Cooperative Extension Service, and the Florida Yards & Neighborhoods Program.
- "Book Nook by the Bay" Program from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm in the Education Booth. Theme: Environmental Education; Activity: specimen observations through microscopes, slides and hands-on activities.
- Children's Poetry Workshop with Literary Artist-in-Residence Mia Leonin from 12:00 pm to 1:30 pm in the Carriage House Classroom. Recommended for children ages 8-12 and their parents.
- Food and beverages will be available for an additional fee. Food for purchase will be provided by Crepemaker and the Deering Estate Foundation.
About the Deering Estate at Cutler
The Deering Estate at Cutler, a Miami-Dade County Park, is located at 16701 SW 72 Avenue in Miami. This 444-acre natural and archeological preserve and historic site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and serves as a center for education, culture and recreation. Historic house tours are offered daily at 10:30 am & 3:00 pm and are free with Estate admission. For more information on the Deering Estate's educational and cultural programs, please visit Deering Estate.