The Deering Estate at Cutler celebrates youth artists at Youth Arts Day & Music Fest
(MIAMI, April 15, 2014) – Enjoy youth artwork along with musical, theatrical, and dance performances from students and organizations on Sunday, May 4th, 2014 from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm at the Deering Estate at Cutler Youth Arts Day. Event entry is $12 for adults and FREE for children and youth (Grades K-12).
The Youth Arts Day Exhibit will be on display inside the Richmond Cottage and Stone House from April 30th through May 16th. Artwork includes ceramics, painting, drawing, photography, sculpture, and written works. The exhibit is free with regular Estate admission 10:00 am- 4:00 pm.
Sponsors, organizations, and participating schools include: Deering Estate Foundation, Inc., Reflections Productions, Superwheels Skating Center, Greater Miami Youth Symphony GMYS, Door to The Arts, Dade Heritage Trust, Arthur and Polly Mays Conservatory of the Arts, Palmer Trinity, Miami Children’s Theater, Tandem Theater Project, Inc., Native Flags Project, Dr. Henry Perrine Academy of The Arts, Ballet at The Park, Inc, GroveHouse Artists, Bel-Aire Elementary, St. Phillips, , Somerset Academy Silver Pines, Hialeah High School, West Hialeah Gardens Elementary, Coral Reef Senior High, Coral Reef Montessori Academy, Palmetto Senior High, SALT Homeschool Group and individual student entries.
- Historic House Tours – 10:30 am & 3:00 pm
- Natural Areas Tour – 12:30 pm
- On-Stage Performances – 11:00 am – 3:45 pm
Sponsored by Reflections Productions, Inc. and Superwheels Skating Center
Experience a day of youth performances including classical and contemporary dance, music, theater, spoken word, and chorale works.
- Colors of the Wind - 10:00 am - 4:00 pm ongoing
Make new artwork at our outdoor children’s art studio, equipped with easels and paint supplies. After creating images of Biscayne Bay, the historic houses, and natural scenery, works can dry in our Colors of the Wind Gallery. Time and participant name will be written on the back of the piece and after 30 minutes, work will be rolled and put into a bin for later collection.
- Dance on the Fly - Ongoing surprise times
Join Miss Vilma of Ballet in the Park and Youth Choreographers from Mays Conservatory of the Arts for short participatory dance lessons on the Main Lawn.
- Dreams of Planting-Eco Art - 12:00 am - 2:00 pm
Join Eco Artist-in-Residence Nancy Martini as she guides a hands-on seedling awareness project. Participants decorate paper and cloth pouches with flower and leaf dyes, and then take seeds home for planting.
- Celebrate Mother Nature - 10:00 am - 4:00 pm ongoing
Come meet Miss Mother Nature and engage in interactive learning with specimens, magnifying glasses, and creatures that sample curriculum from our onsite living classroom programs.
- Youth Arts Day Exhibit - Enjoy youth artwork from all over the county including ceramics, painting, drawing, photography, sculpture and written word pieces on view inside the Richmond Cottage and Stone House from April 30th through May 16th.
- Cardboard Boat Race and Regatta by Palmer Trinity - Enjoy the student designed, floating, functioning cardboard boats from our Friends at Palmer Trinity as they try to cross the finish line and stay afloat. Boats will be on display after competition!
About the Deering Estate at Cutler
The Deering Estate at Cutler, a Miami-Dade County Park, is located at 16701 SW 72 Avenue in Miami. This 444-acre natural and archeological preserve and historic site is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and serves as a center for education, culture and recreation. Historic house tours are offered daily at 10:30 am & 3:00 pm. Natural areas tours are offered daily at 12:30 pm (October – May). EcoAdventure Tours are also offered throughout the year for an additional fee. For more information on the Deering Estate's educational and cultural programs, please visit www.deeringestate.org.