Miami-Dade County Parks' ''Fit2Play'' Spring Break Camps registration begins March 2
Camps serve up a healthy balance of “fun” and “active” recreation in the great outdoors!
(MIAMI, February 12, 2015) - Keep your kids active, fit and engaged during the spring school break with one of these affordable and memory-making “Fit2Play” Spring Break Camps being offered by the Miami-Dade County Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Department. Registration begins online Monday, March 2, 2015.
Camps will be held March 23 - 27, 2015, Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., with early drop-off available at 7:30 a.m. and late pick-up until 6 p.m.
General Camp programs will thrill and challenge youngsters with a variety of activities from fitness, sports, and arts-and-crafts to games and exciting field trips. There are also Specialized Camps, which focus on a specific interest or need, including camps for nature and wildlife-lovers like Zoo Miami’s “Zoofari Spring Camp,” Miami EcoAdventures Camps at A.D. “Doug” Barnes Park and Greynolds Park and “Spring On! Nature Camp” at the Deering Estate at Cutler. For young golf enthusiasts, there are Junior Golf Camps at the Country Club of Miami, Crandon Golf at Key Biscayne and Palmetto Golf Courses.
Parents may register their child by visiting the specific Miami-Dade County Park where they wish their child to attend. Some parks offer online registration at www.miamidade.gov/parks, where the entire list of camp sites is also found. The public may also dial 311 for the Miami-Dade County Information Hotline. Prices for camps vary. Children with disabilities are welcome in all park programs. Contact the park manager to develop an inclusion plan as early as possible.
MIAMI-DADE COUNTY PARKS GENERAL PROGRAM CAMPS:
The cost for these camps is $40-$90 per week, depending on the program. Financial assistance is available to those who qualify.
• Deerwood Bonita Lakes Park, 14445 SW 122 Ave., 305-234-1660
• Eureka Villas Park, 14301 SW 180 St., 305-254-5856
• Goulds Park, 11350 SW 216 St., 305-255-2399
• Hammocks Community Park at Wild Lime Park, 14751 Hammock Blvd., 305-386-0227
(Temporary location through May 2015, while Hammocks is under renovation)
• Modello Park, 28450 SW 152 Ave., 305-247-1553
• Sgt. Joseph Delancy Park, 14450 Boggs Dr., 305-235-4503
• South Dade Park, 28151 SW 164 Ave., 305-247-9453
• Southridge Park, 11250 SW 192 St., 786-293-4549
• Wild Lime Park, 11341 SW 147 Ave., 305-386-0227
• Bird Lakes Park, 14365 SW 48 Lane, 305-270-1644
• Continental Park, 10000 SW 82 Ave., 305-274-9666
• Kendale Lakes Park, 7850 SW 142 Ave., 305-385-4750
• North Trail Park, 780 NW 127 Ave., 305-207-2420
• Rockway Park, 9460 SW 27 Ave., 305-223-8769
• Ruben Dario Park, 9825 West Flagler St., 305-222-2194
• Tropical Estates Park, 10201 SW 48 St., 305-226-5782
• Westwind Lakes Park, 6805 SW 152 Ave., 305-388-4771
• Arcola Lakes Park, 1301 NW 83 St., 305-836-5095
• Country Village Park, 6550 NW 188 Terr., 305-622-2594
• Gwen Cherry Park (NFL/YET Center), 7090 NW 22 Ave., 305-694-4889
• Highland Oaks Park, 20300 NE 24 Ave., 305-932-2164
• Jefferson Reaves Sr. Park, 3090 NW 50 St., 305-635-2081
• North Glade Park, 17355 NW 52 Ave., 305-621-2461
• Oak Grove Park 690 NE 159 St., 305-944-8670
• Olinda Park, 2101 NW 51 St., 305-633-4066
• West Little River Park, 2326 NW 84 St., 305-694-5096
MIAMI-DADE PARKS’ SPECIALIZED CAMPS:
“Zoofari Spring Camp” at Zoo Miami
“Zoofari Spring Camp” at Zoo Miami is designed to immerse children ages 4-10 into the world of wildlife and conservation. It’s a fun-filled learning adventure that includes live animal presentations, visits to animal exhibits, questions and answers with zookeepers, wildlife enrichment activities, and much more! March 23-27. Camp hours are 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Extended care is available and pre-registration is required. Zoo Miami is located at 12400 SW 152 St., Miami. For more information visit www.zoomiami.org on or after February 16, or contact ZSF Education at email@example.com.
Miami EcoAdventures Camps at A.D. “Doug” Barnes Park and Greynolds Park
Miami EcoAdventures Camps at A.D. “Doug” Barnes Park and Greynolds Park provide unique opportunities for children, ages 6-14, to explore the wonders of our South Florida ecosystem with outdoor activities from trail hikes and wildlife encounters, to canoeing and fishing excursions. Participants will not only learn about their environment and connect with nature, but will get plenty of exercise.
• “Nature Detectives” (Ages 6-8) and “Nature Explorers” (Ages 9-14) Camps at A.D. “Doug” Barnes Park. March 23-27. Camp hours are 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. The cost is $100 for a five-day session, plus a one-time annual registration fee of $12. The camp will be held at the A.D. “Doug” Barnes Park Sense of Wonder Nature Center, located at 3401 SW 72 Ave., Miami. For more information call 305-662-4124.
• “Camp Manatee” at Greynolds Park (Ages 6-14). March 23-27. Camp hours are 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. The cost is $100 for a five-day session, plus a one-time annual registration fee of $12. The camp will be held at the Greynolds Park Boathouse, located at 17530 W. Dixie Highway, North Miami Beach. For more information call 305-944-6111.
“Spring On! Nature Camp” at the Deering Estate
Children, ages 6-14, will learn about climate change through hands-on experiments. They will also hike through the mangroves, historic sloughs and natural areas and go on tram rides through the Deering Estate. Children will celebrate the last day of camp with field games, exploration and obstacle courses. "Spring On" with a unique theme and experience each day! March 23-27: “Climate Challenge” (March 23); “Mangrove and Soil” (March 24); “Fishing and Tram Ride” (March 25); “Trek’n Through Deering” (March 26); and “Field Day Excursion” (March 27). Camp hours are 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Cost: $188 for a five-day session (no daily rate). Late pick-up is available from 5 p.m. - 6 pm., for an additional charge. The Deering Estate at Cutler is located at 16701 SW 72 Ave., Miami. For more information call 305-235-1668, ext. 233 or visit http://www.deeringestate.com.
About the Deering Estate at Cutler:
The Deering Estate at Cutler is a 444-acre natural and archeological preserve and historic site listed on the National Register of Historic Places and serves as a center for education, culture and recreation. For more information on the Deering Estate's educational and cultural programs, please visit http://www.deeringestate.com.
Junior Golf Camps at Country Club of Miami, Crandon Golf and Palmetto Golf Courses
• 4-Day Junior Golf Camp at the Country Club of Miami (Ages 8-15)
Resident instructor and PGA Professional, Larry Levow, has been featured on the Golf Channel and has taught golfers of all levels including PGA Tour players. Camp is held March 24-27 and is offered in full-day (9 a.m. - 4 p.m.) and half-day (9 a.m. - 12 p.m.) sessions. The cost is $235 for four-full-day sessions and $155 for four half-day sessions (Register a second child at half-off the camp rate). Fees include instruction, golf clubs, practice balls, and short course play. Students must provide their own lunch. Country Club of Miami Golf Course is located at 6801 NW 168 St., Miami. For more information call 305-828-8456, ext. 249 or 561-702-9202 or visit www.floridagolflessons.com
• Junior Golf Camp at Crandon Golf at Key Biscayne (Ages 4-15)
PGA Professional Alex Fernandez of Crandon Golf Academy hosts golf camp for beginner and advanced golfers at Crandon Golf at Key Biscayne. Camp is held March 23-27 and is offered in full-day (9 a.m. - 4 p.m.) and half-day (9 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.) sessions. The cost is $500 for five full-day sessions and $250 for five half-day sessions. Camp curriculum covers: full swing with video analysis, short game, putting, rules, golf etiquette, contests and prizes. Lunch is provided with full-day session. The full-day session includes on-course play and a tournament for advanced golfers. An option to include tennis instruction is available with full-day sessions. Early registration discount is available for multiple students. Crandon Golf at Key Biscayne is located at 6700 Crandon Boulevard. For more information call 786-253-2548, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.golfcrandon.com
• Junior Golf Camp at Palmetto Golf (Ages 5-15)
PGA Professional, Scott Jones, brings the latest training and development techniques from Crandon Golf Academy to Palmetto Golf Course. Camp is held March 23-27 and is offered in half-day sessions (9 a.m. -12:30 p.m.). The cost is $200 for five half-day sessions. Save 10 percent when registering with a friend or sibling. Camp curriculum covers: Full Swing with video analysis, Short Game, Putting, Mini Golf, Rules, Golf Etiquette, and Contests. Palmetto Golf Course is located at 9300 SW 152 St., Miami. For more information call 305-238-2922 or visit www.golfpalmetto.com.
About the Miami-Dade County Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Department
Nationally accredited, a three-time winner of the NRPA National Gold Medal Award, winner of the 2013 Florida Governor’s Sustained Excellence Award and the 2009 Florida Governor’s Sterling Award for excellence in management and operations, Miami-Dade County Parks is the third largest county park system in the United States, consisting of 260 parks and 12,825 acres of land. It is one of the most unique park and recreation systems in the world. Made up of more than just playgrounds and athletic fields, it also comprises out-of-school, sports-development, and summer-camp programs; programs for active older adults and people with disabilities; educational nature centers and nature preserves; environmental restoration efforts; arts and culture programs and events; the renowned Zoo Miami and the Deering Estate at Cutler; the Crandon Tennis Center, home of the Miami Open; golf courses; beaches; marinas; campgrounds; pools; and more. For information about Miami-Dade County Parks call 3-1-1, or visit www.miamidade.gov/parks.
Miami-Dade County Parks is supported by The Parks Foundation of Miami-Dade a non-profit 501(c)3 organization supporting the Miami-Dade County Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Department’s efforts to further develop Miami-Dade County’s world-class parks system for residents and visitors. Its mission is to create a healthier, more livable and sustainable Miami community by ensuring the implementation of the Parks Open Space Master Plan and the development of year-round park and recreation programs for local children, adults and people with disabilities. For more information on the Parks Foundation, please visit www.liveaparklife.org.
To request material in accessible format, information on access for persons with disabilities, or sign language interpreter services (7 days in advance), call 305-755-7848.