At this time, Miami-Dade County is monitoring Hurricane Matthew.
Please visit our Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
RX4Heath is a health prescription program developed by the Miami-Dade County Parks, Recreation and Open Spaces Department. Prescribed RX4Health can be a treatment alternative for overweight, obese or physically inactive youth and/or adults or as a prevention tool for patients beginning to exhibit or make unhealthy lifestyle choices, or for those challenged with maintaining a healthy weight.
Register with one of the following health providers:
- Life's Simple 7 Tips for Kids
Your doctor has prescribed (for your child) participation in an evidenced based afterschool program, Fit2Play®. The Fit2Play After-school Program curriculum includes activities and games (SPARK) that are designed to keep kids active and engaged for 45 minutes daily: homework time
- Nutrition education
- Recreationional activities
Pre and post testing that includes performance and biometric measures will be taken, tracked and an analysis of findings will be shared with your Pediatrician. This is valuable information that can be used to successfully manage the health of your child.
- Kids lose excess fat and improve their physical fitness
- Kids with high blood pressure, lower their blood pressure levels
- Kids maintain a healthy weight and body mass index (BMI) throughout the school year
- Kids are taught nutritional information that they can use on a daily basis
- Kids learn fun, new ways to exercise with other children who become new friends
- Kids develop and improve their motor skills, movement knowledge, and social and personal skills
Your doctor has prescribed participation in an evidence base low impact adult exercise program/class or activity as a lifestyle change intended to optimize your health.
Programs are generally provided to accommodate different levels of ability. Program options that your physician can choose from include:
- Walk for Life
- Enhance Fitness
- Tai Chi
- Water Aerobics
- Improve your chances of living longer and living healthier
- protect you from developing heart disease, high blood pressure
- protect you from developing certain cancers
- prevent type 2 diabetes
- prevent osteoporosis
- reduce the risk of falling
- improve cognitive functioning
- relieve symptoms of depression and anxiety
- prevent weight gain, promotes weight loss
- improve heart-lung and muscle fitness
- improve sleep
Obesity and its health related consequences constitute some of the most challenging and costly public health threats currently facing our nation. Health care professionals are tasked to deliver not only medical care, but important information about chronic disease prevention strategies including physical activity and proper nutrition to maintain healthy weight, but are often challenged with time limitations during patient visits.
This presents a unique opportunity for healthcare providers to liaison with community partners to support the maintenance of healthy lifestyle behaviors. Specifically, the park setting and their park and recreation practitioners can provide a convenient and supportive locale/expertise for all family members to sustain their health and wellness efforts well beyond the doctor visit.Back to Top
Baptist Health Locations
Baptist Health of Miami locations for kids:
Wellness classes for adults:
Wellness opportunities for adults:Back to Top
Univeristy of Miami Health program locations for kids:
- Arcola Lakes Park
- Little River Park
- West Little River Park
- Olinda Park
- Jefferson Reaves Park (TCT)
- Deerwood Bonita Lakes Park
- Eureka Park
- Eureka Villas Park (OLR)
- Sgt. Joseph Delancy Park
Life's Simple 7 Tips for Kids
Everyone wants to live a long and healthy life. To do that, it’s important to do the things that make you less likely to develop diseases and to know how to get better if you get sick. Keeping your heart healthy is one of the most important ways to make sure you are feeling your very best. As a young person, if you start doing small things every day that keep your body healthy, you have a better chance of living a longer, happier and healthier life.Back to Top
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.