Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Emergency Operations Center has been activated and is closely monitoring Erika. For any updates about County facilities and services, please visit: http://www.miamidade.gov/emergency
MDPD Career - Police Complaint Officer (911 Call Taker)
High school diploma or GED. Must be able to work rotating shifts including weekends and holidays. Applicants will be subject to an extensive background check. As a condition of continued employment, the ability to handle stressful emergency communications associated with the 911 Emergency System will be assessed during the training and probationary period.
Nature of Work
This is specialized police work receiving and screening telephone calls in a communications center utilizing a computerized telephone system.
Employees in this class are responsible for the accurate, rapid and effective evaluation of, and response to, telephone calls for information and emergency requests for police and fire assistance. Work is performed in accordance with prescribed law enforcement procedures and departmental regulations; however, independent judgment is exercised in determining the scope of dispatch for police and fire units. Supervision is received from a shift supervisor who reviews work for conformance with proper procedures and who confers with the employee on unusual or difficult calls.
- Receives telephone calls from the public relative to the reporting of accidents, crimes, disturbances of the peace, suspicious persons, emergency illnesses and fire related emergencies, and a variety of unusual incidents.
- Evaluates the need for police assistance by determining the exact nature of the incident, geographic location, governmental jurisdiction, and, if required, priority code to be used in dispatching units to the scene.
- Operates computerized telephone equipment, utilizing numerous software programs to sort information aiding in dispatch procedures.
- Receives and answers requests for information from other law enforcement agencies, ambulance companies, hospitals, automobile wreckers, and the general public.
- Originates orders to police and fire dispatchers which will result in the dispatch of police and/or fire personnel to the desired location.
- Telephones automobile wrecking companies to request removal service at the scene of traffic accidents.
- Maintains activity records of telephone calls received and action taken.
- Performs related work as required.
Knowledges, Abilities, and Skills
- Knowledge of modern law enforcement practices, procedures, and methods.
- Knowledge of the proper legal functions of governmental agencies sufficient to answer or redirect citizen inquiries.
- Knowledge of departmental regulations pertaining to complaint and dispatch activities.
- Knowledge of the roadways and political boundaries of all of Miami-Dade County.
- Ability to comprehend and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to react quickly and calmly in emergencies.
- Ability to communicate effectively with the general public by means of the telephone.
- Ability to maintain written and computerized records.
- Good diction and clear speaking voice.
- Able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Skill in the operation of a computer keyboard.
- Two years of public contact or interviewing experience is desired.
- Computer-aided dispatch experience is preferred.
- Must take, and pass, a computer-based skills and abilities test, which will evaluate the ability to follow verbal and written instructions, decision making, data entry, data entry (audio), cross referencing (audio), prioritization, and multi-tasking skills.
- Photo identification is required to take the computer-based skills and abilities test.
Back to Top Page Last Edited: Mon Jul 2, 2012 11:09:11 AM
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.