Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Emergency Operations Center has been activated and is closely monitoring Erika. For any updates about County facilities and services, please visit: http://www.miamidade.gov/emergency
Public Information and Education Bureau
The Miami-Dade Police Department (MDPD) Public Information and Education Bureau (PIEB) strives to promote cooperation, education, and enhance communication between MDPD, the citizens of Miami-Dade County (MDC), and the news media. The goal of PIEB is to improve overall communication through education, awareness, and involvement in programs that impact the community. PIEB achieves its goal through three main sections—the Media Relations Section, Community & Youth Outreach Section, and the Administration Section.
The Media Relations Section (MRS) is responsible for:
- Coordinating MDPD's response to media inquiries
- MRS personnel conduct live and pre-recorded interviews in English and Spanish, for television, print, and radio media
- MRS personnel respond to critical scenes, gather information, issue news releases, and disseminate information to the community through various media outlets
- MRS personnel also monitor all news feeds, recording and cataloging all pertinent information as it relates to MDPD and MDC.
- MRS personnel also facilitate visiting television and motion picture production companies to ensure accurate information is portrayed about MDPD and MDC.
- MRS personnel are also responsible for the MDPD social media presence, including the departmental Facebook page, Twitter feed, and YouTube account, fostering direct and positive relationships with the community.
- MRS also coordinates the departmental Employee Recognition Program and submits nominations for external law enforcement recognition awards sponsored by local, state, national, and international organizations.
- In addition, the Section also coordinates the MDPD Student Internship Program, offering college students the opportunity to intern with the Department for a full semester.
Routine media inquiries and public records requests are handled as expeditiously as possible during normal business hours—Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. After hours and on weekends, a Public Information Officer (PIO) is always available on-call for emergencies and for significant breaking news events. In order to reach the on-call PIO, please contact the MDPD's Communications Bureau Shift Commander, at (305) 596-8176, and request that the on-call MDPD PIO be called out.
The Community & Youth Outreach Section (CYOS) runs various community based programs, including:
- Drug Abuse Resistance Education (D.A.R.E.)
- Police Athletic League (PAL)
- Students Together Against Negative Decision (STAND)
- The DUI Mobile Educational Center
- The Citizen's Police Academy
- The Gun Bounty program.
- The MDPD Police Explorer Program
- The MDPD Pedestrian Educational Specialists
- Crime Prevention programs
CYOS provides various other services to schools and community organizations throughout MDC. The highly successful D.A.R.E. program reaches over 10,000 students in MDC each year. The Miami-Dade PAL afterschool program reaches over 20,000 children each year by involving them in a variety of sports, games, educational activities, and various events. STAND, geared toward high school youths, reaches over 90,000 students each year.
In addition, CYOS monitors the Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers line. Crime Stoppers is a community action program that encourages citizens to become involved in the fight against crime, while remaining completely anonymous, with the possibility of receiving a cash reward. The Crime Stoppers TIPS line is 305-471-TIPS (8477), or 1-866-471-8477. For more information, please visit Crime Stoppers of Miami-Dade County.
The Administration Section (AS) handles various departmental events and creates the MDPD quarterly “Alert” newsletter. Additionally, the AS is responsible for the School Crossing Guard Program. The School Crossing Guard Program is comprised of over 500 School Crossing Guards that are responsible for the safe crossing of children at over 540 busy crosswalk posts, located at over 118 public elementary schools throughout MDC.
Public Information & Education Bureau Programs
Back to Top Page Last Edited: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:42:16 PM
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.