As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Miami-Dade Police Department Student Internship Program
The Miami-Dade Police Department (MDPD) Student Internship Program (SIP) is designed to enhance the academic studies of college students through the observation of police activities. Students are assigned to various entities during the duration of their internship at MDPD. Candidates will have an opportunity to work with sworn officers and support staff doing real police work with the best equipment and technology the field has to offer, in a major metropolitan environment.
Students are exposed to all aspects of a fully- accredited, multi-faceted, crime-fighting policing agency, against the backdrop of the Atlantic Ocean and some of the most beautiful beaches in the country. Upon successful completion of the course, selected interns walk away with a diverse and unique experience they take with them into many different careers.
About the Student Internship Program
The SIP runs for 16-weeks during the Fall and Spring terms, and 12 weeks during the Summer. Selected interns must work full-time, Monday through Friday, 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week, with MDPD, each week of the Program. Daily schedules vary and could be either a day shift or an afternoon shift.
Some of the entities interns are assigned to include:
- Special Patrol Bureau (Aviation, Marine Patrol, K-9, Motorcycle Unit, Bomb Squad, Special Response Team, Special Events)
- Central Records Bureau
- Communications Bureau (Police Call Center, Police Dispatchers)
- Public Information & Education Bureau (Media, Community Services)
- Warrants Bureau
- Court Services Bureau
- Forensic Services Bureau
- Homicide Bureau
- Robbery Bureau
- Special Victims Bureau
- Uniform Patrol (North and South Districts)
The MDPD Student Internship Coordinator
The MDPD Student Internship Coordinator supervises the SIP. He or she also:
- Answers questions regarding the completion of the application
- Monitors the completion of required weekly reports by the intern
- Completes midterm and final evaluations for interns as required by their school(s)
- Issues a certificate of completion at the conclusion of the program
- Responsible for intern schedules during their time with MDPD
- Ensures each intern undergoes a background check via MDPD Personnel Management Bureau.
General Internship Requirements
An applicant must be:
- Interested in a career in Criminal Justice
- Highly-motivated and ready to broaden their understanding of real police work
- At least 18 years old
- If an undergraduate, at least in the third or fourth year or any graduate student at an accredited college or university
- Minimum 3.0 GPA in their major, and minimum 2.7 GPA overall
- Recommended by their faculty advisor
- Able to participate in a telephone interview
Registration / Application / General Information
- We are no longer accepting applications for the Summer 2018 semester. The deadline has passed.
- We are now accepting applications for the Fall 2018 semester.
- The Fall 2018 semester application deadline is July 2, 2018.
- The Fall 2018 semester will be from Monday, August 20, 2018, through December 7, 2018.
- The Program is full-time (40 hours each week)
For additional information on the MDPD Student Internship Program, contact Sergeant Martha Melcon, at 305-471-1716, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.