As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.
Online Shopping Tips
- Do not use debit cards when shopping online, use only credit cards with low-limits, or a third party payment service, ie. Paypal, ApplePay, SamsungPay.
- If you regularly visit particular websites when shopping, do not use the automatic log-in feature that saves your user name and password. Always log off when you're finished shopping.
- Before providing personal or financial information through a website, look for indicators that the site is secure. Such indicators would include a lock icon on the browser's status bar or a URL for a website that begins with "https." (The "s" stands for secure.) Unfortunately, no indicator is 100% foolproof.
- Shop on trusted sites within the Continental United States, avoid buying from unknown overseas companies.
- When having your packages delivered:
- Have your packages delivered to the home of a relative or neighbor who will be there to accept them.
- Ask to have your packages delivered to a retail store so you can pick them up at your convenience. See if there is a "ship to store" option, many times this will also save you on shipping costs.
- Ask a trustworthy neighbor to keep a "Watchful Eye" out for you packages. If they're willing, ask them to safeguard your packages until you return home
- Ask for a tracking number. Most major shipping companies offer this service at no charge. This number allows you to track your packages and notifies you when they will be delivered. Once delivered, have a trusted neighbor get the package for you.
- Request a "Signature Delivery Option." This requires a signature when the packages are delivered and ensures they will not be left at the front door
- Request a specific drop off time and date when you will be home to accept your packages
- Arrange to have your packages held at the shipping service so you can pick them up
- Ask the delivery service to leave your packages at a side or back door. An enclosed porch where packages are out of sight is also a good option
- If allowed, have the packages delivered to your workplace.
- Use video surveillance devices to monitor your front door for deliveries.
- If your packages do not arrive as scheduled, contact the sender immediately.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.