Skip Navigation
Last Visited »

Hurricane Irma

As we continue our recovery and cleanup efforts, please visit the Emergency website for the latest information on openings and closings in Miami-Dade County.

Property and Evidence Section F.A.Q.

Where do I pick up my property?

You can pick up your property at the Property and Evidence Section (PES) located at 9111 NW 25 Street, Doral, Florida 33172.

When can I pick up my property?

The PES is open to the public Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.  You can call for an appointment at 305-471-2900.

How long does it take to pick up property?

A typical release may take up to 60 minutes to process.

Can a friend or relative pick up my property?

A friend or relative must have a notarized Power of Attorney, authorizing them to pick up your property.  If the property is to be released as the result of a court order, the court order should indicate who has power of attorney.

What do I need to retrieve my property?

What do I need to retrieve my property?
If your property can be returned to you, you must have:

a. MDPD case number or
b. Court case number
c. Picture identification (State Driver's License, State ID card, Passport, or U.S. Armed Forces ID card)
d. An original "Return of Property" Court Order (if applicable).

If your court case is closed, the arresting or impounding officer must complete a Property Disposition form and a Narrative Continuation form, indicating that your property can be released.  These forms must have your name, address, and phone number printed on it by the officer.  Only an original Property Disposition form will be accepted.  If you are not sure if a Property Disposition form and Narrative Continuation form have been completed, please contact the arresting or impounding officer.

What kinds of cases do not allow me the return of my gun?

Any case that is deemed a Breach of Peace requires a Court Order. You must have an original "Return of Property" Court Order to have any property taken for a Breach of Peace.

Examples are:

a. Domestic Disputes, Batteries, or injunctions
b. Reckless Display of a Firearm
c. Possession of a Firearm by a convicted felon (weapons will not be released)
d. Baker Act

Do I need to bring anything to pick up my gun?

The PES recommends that you bring a case or pouch for each weapon.

Where do I obtain a Court Order?

You need to go to the Clerk of the Court and file a "Motion for the Return of Property."

Where do I report a stolen vehicle?

If your vehicle has been stolen, please contact your local police station.  If you are not sure what city you are in, you may contact Police Non-Emergency 305-4-Police or 305-476-5423.

My vehicle was stolen and I need to know if it has been recovered.

Please contact the Vehicle Recovery Desk at (305) 471-2145 to find out if your vehicle has been reported recovered.

Where do you report complaints on vehicles that have been towed away?

The Consumer Services Division, 786-469-2333, handles all complaints regarding vehicles towed that are not part of the Miami-Dade Police Department Tow Contract.

My vehicle was placed on hold and I want to know when it is going to be released.

If the vehicle is placed on hold due to an investigation, you need to contact the investigator assigned to the investigation for the release or any questions regarding your vehicle.

What information do I need to pick up my vehicle from a contracted tow company?

You need to provide proof of ownership by presentation of a title or registration. The vehicle can only be released to the person whose name appears on the vehicle title or registration certificate as the registered owner of the vehicle.

Can I authorize someone to pick up my vehicle?

Yes, you can authorize someone to pick up your vehicle.  In order to pick up your vehicle, they must present a notarize letter of authorization from the owner and proof of ownership by presentation of a title or registration.

Back to Top Page Last Edited: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:21:27 PM

You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.

Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.