Miami-Dade Police Homicide detectives are investigating a police-involved shooting. According to investigators, officer(s) were dispatched to a suspicious person, white male seen looking into vehicle call. When the officer(s) arrived, they located the male subject and began to interview him. During the interview, the subject gave false information and refused to provide a reasonable explanation for his presence & conduct. The officer(s) attempted to handcuff the subject and a violent struggle ensued. During the struggle, the subject broke free from the officer(s) and entered their police cruiser, attempting to use the vehicle as a weapon to run the officer(s) down. An officer discharged his firearm, striking and killing the subject.
The investigation remains active/ongoing.
Interviews were provided on the scene to a freelance photographer. No further interviews will be provided at this time.
UPDATE #1: The subject, Juan Luis Rodriguez, has been identified and listed above. Rodriguez had an open Probation Warrant that was issued on 12/15/2008 for Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon. Rodriguez's criminal history is as follow:
1. 1996 - Trespass.
2. 1997 - Burglary/Unoccupied/Dwelling, Grand Theft 3D/Theft from Dwelling.
3. 1998 - Robbery S/A, Grand Theft 3D/Vehicle, Battery.
4. 1998 - Grand Theft
5. 1998 - Cocaine/Possession.
6. 1998 - Grand Theft 3D/Vehicle, Probation Violation.
7. 1998 - DWLS/Habitual, Probation Violation.
8. 1999 - Grand Theft 3D/Vehicle, Dom Violence/Injunction Violence.
9. 1999 - Robbery S/A, DWLS/3rd Offense, Battery Elderly.
10. 2002 - Obstruction/False Information.
11. 2005 - Burglary/Occupied/Dwelling, Sexual Battery/No Serious Injury, Protective Injunction Violence.