Important Global Message
The Miami-Dade County Emergency Operations Center has been activated and is closely monitoring Erika. For any updates about County facilities and services, please visit: http://www.miamidade.gov/emergency
Safety Tips While Running, Jogging, or Walking
- Do not workout alone.
- Advise someone of your workout times and route taken and check in with them when finished.
- Do not workout in deserted or dark areas.
- Have several different routes and rotate them.
- Check your workout route before you start.
- Get to know the neighborhood of your workout routes.
- Avoid bushes, doorways, and alleys during your workout.
- Plan safe locations on your route, well-populated areas where you can go to for help.
- Do not carry large amounts of cash or jewelry.
- Do carry personal identification, with an emergency contact phone number.
- Carry a whistle or some type of noise-making device.
- Stay alert and scan the area in front of you and avoid person(s) or situations that make you feel uneasy.
- Every now and then during your workout check the area behind you.
- Be careful when people stop you for directions, always reply from a distance, and never get too close to a vehicle.
- If you think someone is following, change directions or go to your safe location.
- Carry a cellular phone when possible.
- Report suspicious persons or incidents to the police as soon as possible.
- Know the phone numbers to police and have them available.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.