Bear Cut Bridge
The Bear Cut Bridge – a portion of the Rickenbacker Causeway that links Key Biscayne and Miami – is currently undergoing repairs required to rehabilitate the bridge.
The Department has implemented a maintenance of traffic designed to reduce congestion and provide safe travel on the bridge to all motorists, cyclists and pedestrians:
- Two eastbound lanes are open to all traffic
- Two westbound lanes are open — one for all traffic, and one for automobiles and motorcycles only
- A dedicated 5 1/2 foot-wide accessible pedestrian path remains open on the bridge that bicyclists can also use with caution
Effective April 1, 2013, tolls on the Rickenbacker (for non-Key Biscayne residents or non-C-Pass holders only) increased to $1.75 for two-axle vehicles.
- Read more in the Bear Cut Bridge FAQ page
- View maps of the Bear Cut Bridge lane uses
- Visit the contractor's website
Nightly lane closures on bridge scheduled until March
Nightly lane closures on the Bear Cut Bridge will take place from 8 p.m. through 6 a.m. due to construction. During this time, there will be one lane of traffic in each direction the entire length of the Bear Cut Bridge. The closures will occur until March.
Rickenbacker Toll Plaza construction schedule
The following Rickenbacker Toll Plaza lane closures are associated with the West Bridge rehabilitation and SunPass conversion.
Phase 1: Toll Plaza left-lane closures
- Period: Nov. 4-21, 2013
- Lanes 1 through 3 are currently closed to traffic at all times. Lane 4 will be completely closed from Nov. 4-21. The four far right lanes will remain open to traffic during this period.
- Period: Nov. 22 - Dec. 9, 2013
- Lanes 1 through 3 will remain closed to traffic. Lane 4 may be used during peak traffic periods starting Nov. 22. The four far right lanes will remain open to traffic during this period.
- Period: Dec. 9, 2013 - Jan. 24, 2014
Lanes 1 through 3 will remain closed to traffic. Lane 4 will be closed Dec. 9 and remain closed during weekdays until Jan. 24.
During this construction period we ask motorists to give themselves extra travel time in anticipation of traffic delays.
Pedestrian path detour in place through February
The pedestrian path located on the west side underneath the West Bridge is closed while demolition of the bridge is ongoing.
The path will be closed to the public until February 2014. Pedestrian and bike traffic will be detoured up to the Brickell Avenue/Rickenbacker Causeway intersection to use the crosswalks as needed.
Motorists and cyclists will see the "sharrow" marking — meaning both must share the eastbound and westbound right lanes of the Bear Cut Bridge during construction.
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.